On average, 75% of all college students are employed while taking classes. Studies show that students who work on campus 20 hours or less each week actually do better academically than those students who work off campus, or do not work at all.
Benefits of Working on Campus
- Obtain valuable work experience to enhance your resume
- Develop critical skills employers seek
- Work close to class locations with flexible work hours
How Can I Locate a Position On Campus?
1) SEARCH, aPPLY, AND iNTERVIEW
Look for student positions in HANDSHAKE. New opportunities are added daily with peak hiring occurring at the beginning of each semester.
Students may also:
- Meet with a Career Exploration and Development career advisor for assistance.
- Visit department web sites for information on positions and/or online applications. Some examples include: Recreational Services, University Libraries, Residence Services, Student Financial Aid, and Dining Services.
- Network with fellow students who are employed on campus.
- Speak with academic advisors and faculty/staff who are familiar with university services and departments that employ students.
2) Accept OFFER & COMPLETE HIRING PROCESS
All FIRST-TIME student employees must:
- Sign the Offer of Student Employment Form provided by your hiring department to accept the job offer.
- Bring the completed Offer of Student Employment Form to the appropriate student employment office with acceptable forms of I.D. (i.e. a KSU FLASHcard or driver's license and an original Social Security card or certified copy of a birth certificate) to complete the forms required for employment.
- Log into CampusWorks to Accept and electronically sign the Student Employment Certification Statement
All FIRST-TIME & RETURNING student employees must:
- Accept job offers online to complete the hiring process by checking your kent.edu email or logging into CampusWorks. You will have five days to respond to the offer or it will automatically expire. The job can be resubmitted by contacting the hiring department.
- Receive a Job Confirmation email when permission to work has been granted and your job has been activated. Permission to work is granted upon final confirmation of student enrollment, completion of paperwork, and other employment eligibility requirements. Returning student employees will be notified in CampusWorks if additional forms are needed.