Stable Housing Resources

Having a safe and secure place to live is imperative to students' success.  However, there are many situations where a student's housing situation can change in a moment's notice. When a Kent State student faces a housing emergency, the CARES Center helps to identify emergency housing options as well as support in securing long-term sustainable housing on and off campus.

Basic Needs Assistance Form

CARES Case Center

Case Managers support students in identifying 72-hour emergency housing, both short and long-term housing resources.  

Lease Help

Student Legal can provide support to students with questions and/or concerns regarding their lease. Visit the Student Legal website for more information. 

CANAPI Youth Housing Assistance 

CANAPI works to help LGBTQ + individuals between the ages of 18 and 24 secure safe, stable, and affordable housing in the Akron area. Visit the CANAPI website for more information. 

Comprehensive Case Management & Employment Program (CCMEP) 

CCMEP is Ohio Means Jobs Portage County’s program for serving youth and young adults ages 14-24. The program provides support to young adults access to basic needs services such as addiction/substance use issues, health, housing, education transportation, and more 

Visit the CCEMP Website for more information. 

Community Action Council of Portage Country (CAC Portage County) 

CAC Portage County provides individuals with assistance for rent and utilities such as electricity, water, and gas 
Visit the CAC Portage County website for more information.

Family and Community Service  

  • Housing and Emergency Support Services (HESS) 
    HESS offers a variety of resources to provide the maximum amount of support that families and individuals in crisis need. If you received an eviction notice, need information and assistance to access community resources, are currently homeless, or need support to resolve a housing emergency. 
    Visit the HESS website for more information
    Contact: 330-296-1111, leave a voicemail. 

  • Miller Community House 
    The Miller House provides emergency shelter and support services to individuals and families experiencing a housing crisis.  
    Visit the Miller Community House for more information.

  • Next Step 
    Provides case management services to young adults. Clients will be paired with a trained case manager who will help develop a personalized case plan to foster independence.  
    Contact: 216-990-0524 

Portage Metropolitan Housing Authority (PMHA/Metro) 

The Portage Metropolitan Housing Authority offers several housing support services and options based on an individual or family need and qualifications. 

Visit PMHA/Metro website for more information.