Salem Campus Honors Program
Application Process for New Freshman
The Honors College enrolls students who are academically motivated and demonstrate the potential for significant academic and creative ability at Kent State University. We take a holistic approach to evaluating students for admission. Standardized test scores have historically been just one indicator among many in our review process. Those students applying as a first-year student in the Honors College are not required to submit standardized test scores (ACT or SAT). In the absence of test scores, we will continue to look at all available factors, including the completion of a core curriculum; high school GPA; a student’s decision to take rigorous coursework such as AP, IB, honors or college credit, where it is offered; a sample of writing; extracurricular activities; positions of employment and leadership experiences; along with other achievements or extenuating factors.
Current Kent State students who are not admitted as incoming freshmen but would like to join the Honors Program may apply for membership for the purposes of completing a Senior Honors Thesis/Project. Typically, this consideration occurs in the junior year.
Honors Program Scholarships
1. For the 2023-2024 Academic Year, eligible students will receive a minimum scholarship of $400 per semester, with possible increases based on academic performance.
2. All scholarship awards are contingent on the availability of funds.
3. Scholarships are renewable for up to 8 semesters pending satisfactory progress toward completing the Honors Program
4. Satisfactory progress means that each semester you will:
- enroll full-time with the majority of hours at the Salem Campus
- enroll in at least 1 Honors course (incoming freshman must take Freshman Honors Colloquium 1 in the fall semester and Freshman Honors Colloquium 2 in the spring semester)
- maintain a minimum 3.3 GPA
- participate in community service
For more information, please contact Professor Kristine Harrington, firstname.lastname@example.org, 330-337-4285