Design Innovation Nodes
The DI Nodes are a series of makerspaces and resource laboratories located across the various Kent State University colleges and campuses.
DI Nodes represent a vital component of the Design Innovation Ecosystem as they provide specialized spaces, equipment, resources, and expertise that facilitate innovation and promote rich cross-disciplinary collaboration. By connecting the DI Hub to each of the DI Nodes, the Design Innovation Initiative seeks to elevate awareness of, and access to, the broad range of maker, design, technology, and resource centers at KSU and more fully expose the KSU community to the true power of collaboration.
Each DI Node is committed to:
- Operating as part of the larger DI Ecosystem and connected “maker-culture” of Kent State University.
- Promoting resource accessibility and supporting all KSU community inquiries, not just those from their respective departments or degree program areas.
- Participating in challenge-based-innovation projects and events to support collaborative problem-solving at KSU.
DI Node Benefits
In recognition of their commitment as part of the DI Ecosystem, DI Nodes:
- Earn automatic membership to the DI Team for their staff and representatives; participation on the DI Team affords DI Node staff access to the resources and expertise of the full DI Ecosystem.
- May request flexible, on-demand student staffing support from the DI Crew/DI Fellows to aid ongoing projects, events, or other temporary operations; longer-term support may also be available.
- May request a temporary loan of DI Hub tools and equipment for use in DI Node projects or programs, or participate in collaborative bulk ordering to reduce overhead costs.
- Receive priority access to the DI Hub’s event spaces, maker environments, and programmatic offerings in support of DI Node projects, events, workshops, and development opportunities.
- Receive priority access to the DI Gallery and Muse Lab to exhibit their projects and activities.
- May apply for annual multi-Node grant opportunities (up to $2,500 per project) to support transdisciplinary projects or the use of challenge-based-innovation to solve key problems.
- May request up to $250 to support collaborative promotional events in conjunction with the DI Hub.
- May request marketing support via cross-promotion of DI Node activities to the full DI membership; this support enables DI Nodes to reach a larger audience across the DI Ecosystem.