Hosting Events in the DI HUB
As an open access and collaborative building, the DI HUB offers a wide variety of spaces and services to meet the event and programming needs of the Kent State University community. The DI HUB’s numerous spaces can accommodate most small to large events and programs, whether onetime, semi-regular, internal, or external.
All events and programs must adhere to University Event Registration Operational Procedures and any events managed by student organizations must have a KSU staff or faculty member present at all times. No matter what your event, DI Staff are available to discuss your needs. DI staff are also available to help you integrate design innovation into your event, whether than be through DI HUB tours or custom workshop experiences. For more information about our event spaces, services, and reservation processes, please consult the guide below.
In order to request an event or program in the DI HUB:
- Consult this guide to learn about our spaces, services, and event policies.
- Complete our online Programs/Events Request Form with the details for your event or program. Once your request has been submitted, DI staff will contact you to discuss your needs.
- In some cases, you may be asked to place a reservation through University Events and Conference Services or to make additional arrangement with Culinary, Information Technology, or Parking Services.
- Finalize all details with the help of DI staff.
- Successfully host your event or program!
- If you would like to provide food and beverage services at your event University Culinary Services has "first right of service" for all on-campus events. For more information about catering services or exceptions to this “first right of service,” please visit: www.kent.edu/dining/catering.
- Please note that if you intend to have your event catered you must first obtain a room reservation number through University Events and Conference Services, even if the room you are using does not require a UECS reservation.
- Catering can be requested from University Culinary Services:
- Phone: 330.672.3305
- Email: email@example.com
IT & AV Services
- DI HUB staff are unable to provide IT & AV assistance. Any event that requires IT or AV assistance must first obtain a room reservation number through University Events and Conference Services, even if the room you are using does not require a UECS reservation. Additional fees may apply for IT & AV assistance.
- If you wish to request access to the wireless network for university guests, a "Conference SSID" or special wireless network can be created for your event. Visitors will be able to easily connect to this custom wireless network without having a FlashLine username and password. By default, this special wireless network is named "KSU Event."
- Event Wi-Fi can be requested by visiting the Conference and Event Wireless Network Form. Additional fees may apply for event Wi-Fi access.
- Event parking is available in the visitor parking lot adjacent to the Kent Student Center. Vehicle parking rates are available at https://www.kent.edu/parking/visitor-parking or at the Kent Student Center parking lot entrance. For special arrangements, please contact University Events and Conference Services. Additional fees may apply for guest parking.
- The DI HUB is open Monday-Friday 7am-9pm. If your event requires access to the building outside of these times, please contact the DI HUB Director to request changes to the lock schedule. Additional fees may apply for extended building access.
- At its heart, the Kent State Design Innovation Initiative is collaborative and cross-disciplinary. DI staff are here to help you facilitate challenge-based innovation events or projects such as conferences, hackathons, design challenges, workshops, and other collaborative experiences. If you are interested in partnering with DI to develop interdisciplinary or DI-focused events or projects, please complete our DI HUB Program Request form.
Tours of the DI HUB
- If requested, DI staff and Crew are available to provide tours of the DI HUB to your event or program guests. These tours include an overview of the DI HUB as well as an insider’s view into the building’s multiple maker and collaboration environments.
- DI HUB tours are free for KSU staff and faculty groups, attendees at recruitment-related events and programs, and K-12 school visits.
- Depending on the nature of the event or program, a session fee may be assessed for event-related group tours (maximum 50 attendees).
Design Innovation Workshops
- In addition to providing tours of the DI HUB, DI staff are happy to work with you to implement one of our many experience-based workshops for your event or program guests. These workshops include a DI HUB Orientation, DI Superpowers Activity, and more.
- Depending on the nature of the event or program, a fee may be assessed for KSU-hosted programs and/or for external programs (maximum 30 attendees). Additional fees will be assessed for larger groups, or any materials consumed during the workshop.
Design a Custom Experience
- Beyond our standard DI HUB tours and workshops, you can also work with our staff to develop custom experiences for event or program guests related to design innovation, design thinking, human-centered design, or collaboration.
- Depending on the nature of the event or program, a $250.00/hour fee may be assessed for KSU-hosted programs and $350.00/hour for external programs (maximum 30 attendees). Additional fees will be assessed for larger groups, or any materials consumed during the experience.