Role of Advisors
What is Academic Advising?
Empowering students to develop their individual purpose by guiding, teaching and engaging them through a collaborative and personalized academic advising experience.
We aspire to engage students in a comprehensive and transformative advising experience that will be adaptive to the unique and changing needs of our diverse student population.
As an office we value: our students, one another, diversity, collaboration, trust, honesty, respect and mindfulness.
Role of Professional Academic Advisor
- Work with students on creating their academic plan and setting goals
- Assist students in interpreting academic policies and procedures
- Help students as they select courses and progress toward graduation
- Teach students about the resources and technology available
Role of Faculty Advisor
- Offer expertise in subject matter
- Providing mentoring in internship/career development
your role as a student in the advising partnership
- Set realistic goals and action steps each semester that align with your academic plan
- Be actively engaged in advising appointments each semester
- Learn about your program, policies, procedures
- Utilize the tools and resources to assist with academic planning
- Follow though with deadlines and referrals
- Come to advising appointments prepared with a list of courses selected