Renewing Your License
How do I renew my license?
Step One - Review the information found on the Ohio Department of Education's Renew a License web page.
Renewing a license is different for everyone and depends on many factors. Renewal of a license is handled through the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) and you should contact ODE regarding what they require for you to renew your license. Please visit the Renew a License page on the ODE website.
Step Two - How to apply to Kent State University?
If after contacting the Ohio Department of Education you find that you need to take courses, we would be happy to have you complete them at Kent State University. We offer a variety of courses and workshops that may satisfy the Ohio Department of Education's licensure renewal requirements. Some students choose to begin taking courses required for a graduate degree, and endorsement, or a certificate program. However, this is a personal choice and not required.
The application you complete depends on what types of classes you plan to take, if you plan to complete a degree program or if you just want to do workshops. The following information is provided to assist you in the application process.
Please note: Kent State University DOES NOT approve or authorize courses for renewal and we cannot guarantee that courses you complete will be accepted by ODE.
- Those who plan to only take workshops should register through the Office of Continuing and Distance Education and use the registration form that corresponds with the semester you will be taking workshops. Those who plan to take classes or both workshops and classes should apply through Undergraduate Admissions or Graduate Admissions (see below).
- Post-undergraduate degree-seeking applicants – for those interested in seeking an additional bachelor’s degree.
- Post-undergraduate non–degree-seeking applicants – for those just interested in taking additional undergraduate coursework
- Guest admission - for those who would like to take a limited number of undergraduate courses for credit
Note: Former Kent State University students or alumni will apply for reenrollment
- Master's Degree Application - for those interested in earning a Master's Degree
- Online Degrees & Certificate Programs - for those interested in a graduate program where classes can be taken completely online (this option is for specific programs only)
- Graduate Non-Degree Application - for those who do not want to earn a graduate degree (or are not quite ready to fully apply for a graduate program) but do want to take a limited number of graduate courses. *Note - Non-Degree students may not be eligible for financial aid
- Guest Application - for those who have taken less than six graduate credit hours at KSU and who wish to take a limited number of courses; not interested in pursuing a degree. *Note - Guest students are not eligible for financial aid
- Reapplication - for those who have already earned a graduate degree from Kent State University and want to continue in graduate coursework without pursuing another degree program (can re-enroll for up to six years)
Step Three - How to find classes and workshops?
Click below to search Credit Workshop offerings and the Schedule of Classes to find upcoming course offerings.
- Credit Workshops - For Credit Workshops are offered through the Office of Continuing and Distance Education and are usually between one and three credi hours. Many are taught as online courses. Be sure that you are completing FOR Credit Workshops. The Education Workshops are designed for teachers and cover topics that address current issues in education.
- Schedule of Classes - The Schedule of Classes is published by the University Registrar. Registration deadlines can be found on their website.
Step Four - How to register for classes?
Once you have been admitted you will be given a Kent State ID# and a FlashLine account/username. The University Registrar has a How to Register page to assist you.
Step Five - How do I apply for license renewal now that I have completed my coursework?
Once you complete the necessary coursework, you will complete the online application through your ODE SAFE account. Be sure that you select RENEW under My Credentials (do not complete a new application).