Tammy Clewell teaches courses in twentieth-century British and Irish literature, critical theory, and contemporary prose and graphic memoir. She is the author of Mourning, Modernism, Postmodernism (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009), and editor of Modernism and Nostalgia: Bodies, Locations, Aesthetics (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013). Her articles that have appeared in such journals as PMLA, Modern Fiction Studies, and the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association.
- Mourning, Modernism, Postmodernism. Palgrave MacMillan, November 2009.
- Modernism and Nostalgia: Bodies, Locations, Aesthetics, Palgrave MacMillan, July 2013.
- “Beyond Graphic Memoir: Visualizing Third-Generation German Cultural Identity in Nora Krug’s Belonging,” American Imago 77.3 (2020): 459-496.
- “Fashioning Identities through Consumption: Clothes, Class, and Gender in the First World War Fictionalized Epistolary Column,” Journal of Modern Periodical Studies 10.1-2 (2020): 1-26.
- "Beyond Psychoanalysis: Resistance and Reparative Reading in Alison Bechdel's Are You My Mother?," PMLA, 132.1 (2017): 51-70.
- "The Making of a New Virginia Woolf Icon" (Review-essay). College Literature 32.3 (2005): 172-181.
- “Cavell and the Endless Mourning of Skepticism.” Angelaki: A Journal of the Theoretical Humanities 9.3 (2005): 75-88.
- “Mourning Beyond Melancholia: Freud’s Psychoanalysis of Loss.” Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association 52.1 (2004): 43-67.
- “Consolation Refused: Virginia Woolf, The Great War, and Modernist Mourning.” Virginia Woolf . Modern Fiction Studies 50.1 (2004): 197-223.
- “From Destructive to Constructive Haunting in Toni Morrison’s Paradise.” Ghostworks. Ed. Jodey Castricano. Spec. issue of West Coast Line: Writing Images Criticism 36.1 (2002): 130-142.
- “The Shades of Modern Mourning in Three Colours Trilogy.” Literature/Film Quarterly 28.3 (2000): 203-209.
- Critical Theory
- Cognitive Science
- The Brain versus the Mind