Apply for Your Visa
After you receive your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to make your visa interview appointment. Listed below are step-by-step instructions to set up your visa interview, along with a link to tips and suggestions on how to prepare for your interview.
- Verify your personal information on your Form I-20 (F visa) or DS-2019 (J visa). Ensure that your name and birth date match your passport. If you find any mistakes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- Read page 3 of your Form I-20 and page 2 of your DS-2019 and sign your document. On your I-20, sign the bottom of the first page above your name. Make sure to sign all dependent I-20s in the same location. On the DS-2019, sign in the Exchange Visitor Certification box at the bottom of the first page.
- Pay your SEVIS fee to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security at www.fmjfee.com. Currently, the fee is $200 for F-1 visa applicants, but effective June 24, 2019, the fee will increase to $350. J-1 visa applicants currently will need to pay $180, but it will increase to $220 starting on June 24, 2019. You must pay this fee BEFORE you set up your visa interview and be sure you keep the receipt. Additional instructions on how to pay can be found here.
- Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160). This is another required form in order to arrange your visa interview. The Department of State has a website dedicated to frequently asked questions.
- Schedule the visa interview appointment with your local U.S. Consulate.
- Prepare for your visa interview. The visa interview can be challenging and a bit scary. This is why we provide tips and suggestions on how to prepare for the interview.
- Contact email@example.com to notify us of the outcome of your visa interview. If you do not receive your visa and need to defer your admission and receive a new I-20 or DS-2019, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.