Kent State University has many partners throughout the world. As the university continues to expand its relationships with educational institutions, both in the United States and abroad, it is important to formalize such agreements in order to ensure uniformity across multi-department endeavors. Therefore it is required that all new or renewing agreements with universities or institutions of higher education outside the United States be reviewed and approved the Office of Global Education.

Typically, international agreements are the product of relationships that have developed over time between faculty members at Kent State University and their peers at other institutions. While initial activity and relationships do not require a formal Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) to be in force, formal agreements may serve to facilitate collaborations.

The first step in establishing any kind of partnership with an international institution is to develop a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA). For more information please contact:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

1. What is a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA)?

An MOA is a binding, legal contract formalizing the terms of collaboration between KSU and one or more partner institutions. This forms the base of the relationship and outlines standard terms.

2. When is it appropriate to draft an MOA?

An MOA should be considered when a new initiative or program is under development with a prospective partner university or institution. This may include (but is not limited to) (a) the exchange of students from each institution for traditional student exchange programs; (b) the exchange of academic personnel for teaching, research, or both; (c) the organization of joint seminars and conferences; (d) the hosting of visiting faculty from the partner institution; (e) the exchange of academic program materials; (f) the development of joint research and publications; (g) study abroad of students between institutions; and (h) development of special degree completion programs.

3. How do I find out if an MOA already exists with a particular institution?

Please view the list of current partner universities and institutions. Contact the International Partnerships division for more information on archived, terminated, expired, and pending partnerships.

4. How do I establish an MOA with a prospective international university or institution?

The first step is to complete the International Partnerships Application Form. The International Partnerships Division will review the application and contact you about the next steps. Please contact for more information.

5. What is the purpose of the International Partnership Application Form?

The Partnership Application form compiles all of the information necessary to initiate and maintain a partnership.

6. What is the role of the International Partnerships Division within OGE?

The International Partnerships Division maintains all of the records related to the MOA and any amendments. We will draft the agreement or review a draft presented by the prospective partner, negotiate any changes in the terms, coordinate with General Counsel, and finalize the signing process. The originator of the agreement from KSU will be involved every step of the way.

7. What if the partner institution has different legal requirements for drafting an MOA?

Although this is not typically a problem, most changes can be accommodated or mutual agreement can be found. The International Partnerships Division will coordinate with KSU General Counsel to manage these on a case-by-case basis.

8. What if the partner institution wants Kent State to sign the agreement in a language other than English?

We can accept translated versions of the MOA and amendments. It is the responsibility of the prospective partner to provide the translation after all of the terms of the agreement(s) have been agreed to by both parties. The International Partnerships Division will have the translation back translated and reviewed to ensure both versions are consistent before signing.

9. Why does my initiative or program require an additional amendment?

Amendments are required when a specific program or initiative is developed that goes beyond the scope of the original MOA. Amendments allow for each party to outline expectations and clarify requirements. This is an important step in ensuring that the program is successful. Examples of amendments are: Exchange and Visiting Student/Faculty program, 3+2 programs, and specialized study abroad programs.

10. Who is responsible for administering the program or initiatives outlined in the MOA or amendment?

In most cases the faculty member, department/school, or college is responsible for administering the initiatives identified in the MOA and the amendments. The Education Abroad Division of OGE will assist with the administration of student exchange and short-term study abroad programs.

11. What will the International Partnerships Division do once all of the agreements are finalized?

The International Partnerships Division will be the main point of contact for information about the agreements including initiation of the renewal process. New partners will be added to the e-mailing list that receives regularly published newsletters from the International Partnerships Division.  Partner universities will also receive regular communication about special programs at KSU such as ESL, summer programs, New International Student Orientation, etc.

12. How long is the MOA valid?

Typically, agreements are valid for five years unless otherwise specified in the agreement. The amendments are valid for five years or until the expiration of the original MOA, whichever comes first.

13. Who are the designated signatories for the MOA and amendments?

Only the President and Provost of Kent State University have the authority to formalize relationships with foreign universities and/or institutions of higher education on behalf of Kent State University. Faculty members may not engage in a binding relationship with a foreign entity unless in accordance with the agreement.