Special Degree Completion Programs

Kent State University has a long tradition of collaborating internationally to develop specialized degree completion programs. These types of programs require a formal, legally binding amendment (in addition to the standard MOA). Examples of these programs include 3+2, 2+2, 1+1, and international articulation agreements. A description of each program is listed below.

3+2 Programs

The 3+2 program emulates the existing baccalaureate to master’s degree options currently in place at KSU. Students admitted into the 3+2 program will take undergraduate and/or graduate courses in their respective academic departments concurrently with their remaining undergraduate courses at their home university (if applicable). The graduate courses taken by a student are counted twice: first, to complete requirements for the student’s bachelor’s degree at the partner university, and second, as graduate credit toward a master’s degree at KSU. The 3+2 programs are available for a select group of master’s degree programs at KSU and are only available with a signed amendment. Although the International Partnerships Division assists with the amendment and implementation of the program, the decision to participate in the program lies with the academic department/school or college.


International Institutional Articulation Agreements, 2+2, and 1+1 Programs

International Institutional Articulation Agreement programs provide a foundation for the transfer of coursework from a partner university while 2+2 and 1+1 programs provide the roadmap for degree completion at KSU. An International Institutional Articulation Agreement (IIAA) must accompany a 2+2 or 1+1 program. This agreement lists courses from the partner university and the course equivalencies at KSU. Once this has been completed the 2+2 or 1+1 program may be included in the appendix of the IIAA. Due to the complexity of articulating credit, these types of agreements are rare. Each academic department represented in the IIAA must play a part in deciding how the courses are articulated and applied toward a degree program. For more information about these and other specialized degree completion programs contact the International Partnerships Division.