What Is App Localization?
As technology continues to advance, so does the demand for translation in different mediums and formats. To help bridge the language gap for their services, many mobile applications have implemented app localization.
In general, localization is the process of adapting products, services, and content from its original region to a new locale. Localization goes beyond translation; not only is the language itself changed, but the morals, cultural context, and standards of the new region are taken into account, affecting the ultimate presentation.
Immerse yourself in the world of smartphone app localization with a degree in translation from Kent State University.
Why Mobile App Localization Is Important
App localization is the process of adjusting the functionality and interface of a smartphone application to better accommodate foreign languages. The purpose of mobile app localization is to enhance the international user experience and maximize global visibility without changing the functionality of the application itself.
According to a global report by Hootsuite, in 2021 the number of global mobile app downloads across all platforms totaled 218 billion. In addition, over 96% of the world’s population aged 16 to 64 owns a smartphone. Technological advancements, coupled with smartphone app localization, have improved the international user experience, allowing these numbers to increase year over year.
Consumers prefer to engage with and spend their money on brands that utilize their native language. When mobile applications adapt language and messaging to a variety of locales, sales and profits improve, so there is great demand for localization. Additional benefits to app localization include:
- Substantial opportunities to increase market share and growth
- Users feel that the interface is more personalized to them without sacrificing the goals of the original mobile app
- Globally maximize visibility, downloads, and revenue
- Improves brand loyalty and satisfaction by overcoming cultural barriers
- Allows for a competitive advantage in regional markets
Careers in App Localization
With smartphone app localization, it’s important to understand the international scope of the tasks to deliver exceptional results. Some common tasks in mobile app localization include:
- Defining localization efforts to create a strategy to target localized content
- Implementing engineering processes
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Documenting and monitoring all aspects of mobile applications that have been localized
- Managing logistics for specific regions
- Evaluating key performance indicators and adapting to results as needed
When it comes a successful career in app localization, it’s essential to be adaptable and willing to learn. Within this fast-growing industry, one should demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong attention to detail, skills you will hone as a student at Kent State.
Why Kent State University Is Ideal for a Degree in Translation
If you are ready to begin your career in translation, Kent State can put you on the path to success. Our online M.A. in Translation program will prepare you for the fast-paced, evolving industry of app localization. As the nation’s most comprehensive master’s degree program in translation, we strive to provide you with essential resources for a successful career in smartphone app localization.
Some key benefits of earning your online translation degree from Kent State University include:
- Six language options to choose from, including Arabic, Japanese, French, German, Spanish and Russian
- Flexibility to earn your degree from anywhere in the world, either full-time or part-time
- Instruction from veteran professors committed to your achievements who will expand your global mindset
- Access to our virtual multilingual computing laboratory
Contact Kent State Today for More Information About Careers in Mobile App Localization
Be sure to contact us today to learn more about our translation programs or what a career path in app localization entails. If you’re ready to jump right into the world of smartphone app localization, apply now!