Janet Reed, Ph.D., RN, CMSRN
College of Nursing
Science & Nursing
Mondays and Wednesdays before and after class & Thursdays and Fridays by appointment
I have been a medical-surgical RN since 2003, working in acute care, geriatrics, long term care, rehab nursing, travel nursing, and step down units across 3 states. I love working with nursing students and helping them reach their goals. I have a PhD in Curriculum & Instruction focusing on Educational Technology. My research interests include innovative technologies to improve teaching and learning in nursing education, simulation anxiety, and ways to build clinical judgment to decrease the academic-practice gap in education.
NURS 30035 – Nursing of Adults Across the Lifespan-Classroom and Clinical
NURS 40005 – Professional Nursing Development
NURS 41095 - Special Topics: RN Refresher Course
Ph.D., Kent State University, 2022 MSN, University of Toledo, 2013 BSN, University of Massachusetts, 2006 ADN, Lorain County Community College, 2003
Medical-Surgical Nursing Nursing Education Simulation Anxiety
- Reed, J.M. (in-press, 2022). Simulation anxiety and its effect on clinical judgment for undergraduate nursing students. Clinical Simulation in Nursing.
- Reed, J.M. (in-press, 2022). Learning from non-practicing registered nurses. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing
- Reed, J.M., & Ferdig, R.E. (2021). Designing escape rooms for stress reduction in nursing students. Well Played: Journal on Video Games, Value, and Meaning, 10 (1), 186-212. https://press.etc.cmu.edu/index.php/product/well-played-vol-10-no-1/
- Reed, J. M., & Ferdig, R. E. (2021). Gaming and anxiety in the nursing simulation lab: A pilot study of an escape room. Journal of Professional Nursing, 37(2), 298–305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2021.01.006
- Reed, J.M., Dodson, T., Ferdig, R.E. (2020, October). High flow nasal cannulas: Risks and benefits in response to COVID-19. American Nurse Journal. 15 (10). www.myamericannurse.com
- Reed, J. (2020). Gaming in nursing education: Recent trends and future paths. Journal of Nursing Education. 59 (7), 382-387
- Woolverton, C., Ferdig, R., Snyder, A., Reed, J., Dodson. T., & Thomas, S. (2020, May 7). Repurposing surgical wrap textiles for use as protective masks during pandemic response. Applied Biosafety, 1-3. https://doi.org/10.1177/1535676020925958
- Reed, J. Fluid and electrolyte balance. In Yoost & Crawford (Eds.), Fundamentals of Nursing: Active learning for collaborative practice 2 edition (expected publication 2/2019). Elsevier.
- Reed, J. Diagnostic testing. In Yoost & Crawford (Eds.), Fundamentals of Nursing: Active learning for collaborative practice 2 edition (expected publication 2/2019). Elsevier.
- Reed, J. (2016). Preceptor training module: Educational Theory. ONA CEU Independent Study. Kent State University College of Nursing.
- Nominee and Finalist for Distinguished Teaching Award, 2022 KSU Stark campus
- Platinum Teaching Recognition Award, 2021, Center for Teaching & Learning, Kent State University
- Recipient of UTC Summer Teaching Development Grant for “RN Refresher” course 2020
- Advisor Excellence Award- Kent State Stark Office of Student Life- May 2016
- Faculty Recognition Award- University Teaching Council Kent State University- 2014
- Hussain Graduate Student Research Award, University of Toledo, 2013