This page provides a Design and Development checklist as well as an Online Teaching checklist to help you decide on important components to include in your online course, and also to prioritize your time for course development or revision. These checklists are meant to help both new and veteran online instructors make informed decisions for developing and teaching their online course. The checklists are intended to be used as a "self-check", and reflect research-based best practices for online learning. However, they are not meant to be prescriptive -- you can choose to focus on certain items and exclude others, you can use the checklists for new ideas and teaching strategies, or you can use them to review and reflect on your course prior to revision.
Also included here is a Course Copy and Prep checklist, to help ready your course for the next semester, as well as an Accessibility Considerations document that will help you be proactive in making your online course accessible. For more information on accessibility in online courses, please contact Student Accessibility Services at 330-672-3391.
If you would like more information on anything contained in the checklists, or have a suggestion for including a new item, please contact Dr. Bethany Simunich at email@example.com or 330-672-4224. These checklists are considered "living documents", and will be edited and updated as we receive feedback from our online teaching community here at Kent State.
Primary resource document
Supplemental resource documents
- Requesting course section combination instructions (PDF)
- Copying your course instructions (PDF)
- Setting global permission instructions (PDF)
- Deleting past announcements and student discussion posts instructions (PDF)
- Changing author on discussion starter posts instructions (PDF)
- Updating instructor information instructions (PDF)
- Updating syllabus and course schedule instructions (PDF)
- Checking course materials in student preview instructions (PDF)
- Updating dates in folder description text instructions (PDF)
- Updating display and due dates instructions (PDF)
- Enrolling students in groups instructions (PDF)
- Updating grade center columns instructions (PDF)