Kent State Online complaint resolution
For all students enrolled in Kent State Online programs and courses
Kent State University is committed to providing all students with an exceptional educational experience and strives to work with students to resolve any issues that may arise. United States Department of Education regulations (34 CFR 668.43(b)) require institutions of higher education to have a process to handle complaints for prospective and enrolled students. This page describes the processes available and provides links to supporting policies, documentation, forms, and contacts. All Kent State University distance education students should attempt to resolve complaints first with the university before contacting external agencies for resolution.
general Policies and procedures
Kent State University provides details about student academic complaint policy and procedures in the Policy Register. Please see the links below for further details:
- Students enrolled in courses at the Kent Campus should reference 4 - 02.3 Administrative policy and procedure for student academic complaints.
- Students enrolled in courses at Regional Campuses should reference 8 - 01.4 Administrative policy and procedure for student complaints.
Office of the Student Ombuds
The Kent State University Office of the Student Ombuds provides information and assistance related to university policy, complaints, and grievances. All Kent State University students are encouraged to first contact their instructor if they have an academic issue. If the issue cannot be resolved with the instructor, students should contact the academic department before escalating the issue to the Kent State University Office of the Student Ombuds. If resolution with the institution is unsuccessful, students also have the right to attempt to resolve complaints by contacting state consumer agencies or other related bodies as described below.
Complaint Process (students in SARA STATES)
- As the portal agency for Ohio institutions (such as Kent State University) participating in NC-SARA, The Ohio Department of Higher Education handles complaints of a non-instructional nature. View complaint form.
- For further details about the process, view SARA Student Complaint Process workflow.
- Ohio residents who have complaints of an instructional nature should contact the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
- Residents of SARA states that have instructional complaints should contact their home state consumer protection agency.
Complaint process (students in non-SARA states)
- Residents of this state who have non-instructional or instructional complaints should contact their home state consumer protection agency.
Other methods for resolution
- Students with unresolved complaints also have the right to contact the accrediting body for an institution. View The Higher Learning Commission complaint process.