Child and Adolescent, Health
My program of pediatric psychology research focuses on obesity and weight management in children and adolescents. Current research projects are focused on examining (a) the influence of stress (e.g., stress hormones) on adolescent health and weight management, (b) the role of family influences (e.g., parenting) for promoting healthy weight management, and (c) health disparities (e.g., low-income children) in the context of pediatric obesity risk and intervention. My lab is collaborating with pediatric weight management program at Akron Children's Hospital to conduct research aimed at understanding factors that influence childhood obesity risk and intervention.
Lab Site: Child Health Lab
- Wilson, S.M., & Sato, A.F. (2014). Stress and paediatric obesity: What we know and where to go. Stress and Health, 30, 90-102. doi: 10.1002/smi.2501
- Jelalian, E., Foster, G.D., Sato, A.F., Berlin, K.S., McDermott, C., & Sundal, D. (2014). Treatment adherence and facilitator characteristics in a community based pediatric weight control intervention. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 11(17). doi: 10.1186/1479-5868-11-17 URL: http://www.ijbnpa.org/content/11/1/17
- Jelalian, E., Rancourt, D., & Sato, A.F. (2013). Innovative interventions in pediatric obesity: Commentary and future directions. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 38(9), 1030-1036. doi: 10.1093/jpepsy/jst072
- Sato, A.F., Kopel, S.J., McQuaid, E.L., Seifer, R., Esteban, C., Coutinho, M.T., Klein, R., Fritz, G.K., & Koinis-Mitchell, D. (2013). The home environment and family asthma management among ethically diverse urban youth with asthma. Families, Systems, and Health.
- Jensen, C., Sato, A.F., McMurtry, M., Hart, C.N., & Jelalian, E. (2012). School nutrition policy: An evaluation of the Rhode Island Healthier Beverages Policy in schools. Infant, Child, & Adolescent Nutrition, 4(5), 276-282.
- Lloyd Richardson, E.E., Jelalian, E., Sato, A. F., Hart, C. N., Mehlenbeck, R., & Wing, R. R. (2012). Two-year follow-up of an adolescent behavioral weight control intervention. Pediatrics, 130(2), e281-288. PMCID 3408687
- Koinis-Mitchell, D., Sato, A. F., Kopel, S. J., McQuaid, E. L., Seifer, R., Klein, R. B., Esteban, C. A.., Lobato, D., Ortega, A. N., Canino, G., & Fritz, G. K. (2011). Immigration and Acculturation-Related Factors and Asthma Morbidity in Latino Children. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 36(10), 1130-1143.
- Jelalian, E, Sato, A. F., & Hart, C.N. (2011). The effect of group-based weight control intervention on adolescent psychosocial outcomes: Perceived peer rejection, social anxiety and self-concept. Children's Health Care, 40(3), 197-211.
- Sato, A. F., Jelalian, E., Hart, C. N., Lloyd-Richardson, E. E., Mehlenbeck, R. S. & Neill, M. (2011). Associations between Parent Behavior and Adolescent Weight Control. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 36(4), 451-460.
- Sato, A. F. & Jelalian, E. (2010). Outpatient Multidisciplinary Interventions for the Treatment of Pediatric Obesity 2009: Pracitical Suggestions from Lessons Learned. Obesity and Weight Management, 6(1), 31-34.