Dr. Hughes' research interests are in clinical health psychology. He specializes in cardiovascular behavioral medicine. For example, he uses the tools of cardiovascular psychosocial factors such as depression and traumatic stress increase cardiovascular risk. He is also interested in the role of psychosocial factors (e.g., cognitive impairment, depression, social support) in patient self-management (e.g., heart failure, hypertension), including mHealth interventions.
Courses Frequently Taught:
- Career Pathways in Psychology (undergraduate)
- Practicum (supervision of graduate students in the clinic)
- Health Psychology (undergraduate distance learning)
- Hughes, J. W. (2019). Pathways in Psychology: How Psychology Majors Get into Graduate School and Launch Careers. Kindle ASIN: B07MPZ9NC3 Paperback ISBN: 978-1733602501
- Zullo, M. D., Gathright, E. C., Dolansky, M. A., Josephson, R. A., Cheruvu, V. K., & Hughes, J. W. (2017). Influence of Depression on Utilization of Cardiac Rehabilitation Postmyocardial Infarction: A STUDY OF 158 991 MEDICARE BENEFICIARIES. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention, 37(1), 22-29.
- Gathright, E. C., Goldstein, C. M., Josephson, R. A., & Hughes, J. W. (2017). Depression increases the risk of mortality in patients with heart failure: A meta-analysis. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 94, 82-89.
- Dolansky, M. A., Hawkins, M. A., Schaefer, J. T., Sattar, A., Gunstad, J., Redle, J. D., Josephson, R., Moore, S.M., & Hughes, J. W. (2016). Association Between Poorer Cognitive Function and Reduced Objectively Monitored Medication Adherence in Patients With Heart Failure. Circulation: Heart Failure, 9(12), e002475.
- Hawkins, M. A., Schaefer, J. T., Gunstad, J., Dolansky, M. A., Redle, J. D., Josephson, R., & Hughes, J. W. (2015). What is your patient's cognitive profile? Three distinct subgroups of cognitive function in persons with heart failure. Applied Nursing Research, 28(2), 186-191.
- Goldstein, C. M., Gathright, E. C., Dolansky, M. A., Gunstad, J., Sterns, A., Redle, J.D., & Hughes, J. W. (2014). Randomized controlled feasibility trial of two telemedicine medication reminder systems for older adults with heart failure. Journal of telemedicine and telecare, 20(6), 293-299.
- Goldstein, C. M., Xie, S., Hawkins, M. A. W., & Hughes, J. W. (2014). Reducing risk for cardiovascular disease: Negative health behaviors in college students. Emerging Adulthood. 1-13.
- Hughes, J. W., Fresco, D. M., Myerscough, R., van Dulmen, M., Carlson, L. E., & Josephson, R. (2013). Randomized Controlled Trial of Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction for prehypertension. Psychosomatic Medicine, 75, 721-728.
- Hughes, J. W., Casey, E., Doe, V. H., Glickman, E. L., Stein, P. K., Waechter, D., Josephson, R., & Rosneck, R. (2010). Depression and heart rate variability in cardiac rehabilitation patients: Exploring the roles of physical activity and fitness. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 111, 608-624. PMID: 21162459
- Hughes, J. W., York, K. M., Li, Q., Sheps, D. S., Freedland, K., E., & Carney, R. M. (2008). Depressive symptoms predict heart rate recovery after exercise treadmill test in patients with coronary artery disease: Results from the Psychophysiological Investigations of Myocardial Ischemia (PIMI) Study. Psychosomatic Medicine, 70, 456-460. PMID: 18434491