Department of Psychology
My research program explores how to optimize learning in educationally relevant domains, with current emphasis on strategies that promote the durability and efficiency of student learning, and the self-regulatory processes that support such learning.
Courses Frequently Taught:
- General Psychology
- Research Methods
- Daley, N., & Rawson, K. A. (in press). Elaborations in expository text impose a substantial time cost but do not enhance learning. Educational Psychology Review.
- Zamary, A., Rawson, K. A., & Was, C. A. (in press). Do complex span and content-embedded working memory tasks predict unique variance in inductive reasoning? Behavior Research Methods.
- Wissman, K. T., Zamary, A., & Rawson, K.A. (in press). When does practice testing promote transfer on deductive reasoning tasks? Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition.
- Zamary, A., & Rawson, K.A. (2018). Are provided examples or faded examples more effective for declarative concept learning? Educational Psychology Review, 30, 1167-1197.
- Janes, J. L., Dunlosky, J., & Rawson, K. A. (2018). How do students use self-testing across multiple study sessions when preparing for a high-stakes exam? Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, 7, 230-240.
- Foster, N. L., Rawson, K. A., & Dunlosky, J. (2018). Self-regulated learning of principle-based concepts: Do students prefer worked examples, faded examples, or problem solving? Learning and Instruction, 55, 124-138.
- Rawson, K. A., Vaughn, K. E., Walsh, M., & Dunlosky, J. (2018). Investigating and explaining the effects of successive relearning on long-term retention. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 24, 57-71.
- Zamary, A., & Rawson, K.A. (2018). Which technique is most effective for learning declarative concepts-provided examples, generated examples, or both? Educational Psychology Review, 30, 275-301.
- Wissman, K. T., & Rawson, K. A. (2018). Test potentiated learning: Three independent replications, a disconfirmed hypothesis, and an unexpected boundary condition. Memory, 26, 385-405.
- Wissman, K. T., & Rawson, K. A. (2018). Collaborative testing for key-term definitions under representative conditions: Efficiency costs and no learning benefits. Memory and Cognition, 46, 148-157.
Ph.D., University of Colorado (2004)
Cognition Education Skill Acquisition Reading Student Learning Health Literacy Patient Education Improving student learning Cognitive skill acquisition Text comprehension enhancing learning for students with ADHD enhancing rehabilitation outcomes for people with aphasia skill acquisition in older adulthood
Research Institutes and Initiatives
Healthy Communities Research Initiative