Clinical neuropsychology, caregiver burden, and the cognitive impact of obesity, diet, and exercise.
Courses Frequently Taught:
- Introduction to Psychological Assessment (graduate)
- Advanced Psychological Assessment (graduate)
- Clinical Neuroanatomy (graduate/undergraduate)
- Neuropsychological Assessment (graduate)
- Neuropsychology Practicum (graduate)
- Psychology of Exercise (undergraduate)
- Chapman KR, Tremont G, Malloy P, Spitznagel MB. (in press) The Role of Sexual Disinhibition to Predict Caregiver Burden and Desire to Institutionalize among Family Dementia Caregivers. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Spitznagel MB, Mueller MK, Fraychak T, Hoffman AM, Carlson MD. (2019). Validation of an abbreviated instrument to assess veterinary client caregiver burden. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, doi.10.1111/jvim.15508
- Chapman KR, Tremont G, Malloy P, Spitznagel MB (2019). Identification of sexual disinhibition in dementia by family caregivers. Alzheimer’s Disease and Associated Disorders. doi: 10.1097/WAD.0000000000000302
- Spitznagel MB, Carlson MD (2019). Caregiver burden and veterinary client well-being. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice, 49, 431-444.
- Spitznagel MB, Ben-Porath YS, Rishniw M, Kogan L, Carlson MD. (2019). Development and validation of a Burden Transfer Inventory measure for predicting veterinarian stress related to client behavior. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 254, 124-132.
- Spitznagel MB, Cox MD, Jacobson DM, Albers AL, Carlson MD. (2019). Assessment of caregiver burden and associations with psychosocial function, veterinary service use, and factors related to treatment plan adherence among owners of dogs and cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 254, 133-144.
- Spitznagel MB, Jacobson DM, Cox MD, Carlson MD (2018). Predicting caregiver burden in general veterinary clients: Contribution of companion animal clinical signs and behavior problems. The Veterinary Journal, 236; 23-30.
- Spitznagel MB, Jacobson DM, Cox MD, Carlson MD (2017). Caregiver burden in owners of a sick companion animal: A cross-sectional observational study. Veterinary Record. doi: 10.1136/vr.104295
The Cognitive Impact of Obesity, Diet, and Exercise
- Anderson JR, Gunstad J, Updegraff J, Sato A, Hagerdorn PL, Spitznagel MB. (2018). Biological sex and glucoregulation modulate postprandial cognition following dairy milk and fruit juice in healthy school-age children. Nutritional Neuroscience, 10:1-10. doi: 10.1080/1028415X.2018.1507963.
- Anderson JR, Hawkins MAW, Updegraff J, Gunstad J, Spitznagel MB. (2017). Baseline glucoregulatory function moderates the effect of dairy milk and fruit juice on postprandial cognition in healthy young adults. European Journal of Nutrition, Jul 13 DOI 10.1007/s00394-017-1505-0
- Anderson JR, Calvo D, Glickman E, Gunstad J, Spitznagel MB. (2017). The moderating role of insulin-like growth factor-1 in the relationship between cognitive and aerobic endurance change: A preliminary study in elderly adults with mild cognitive impairment. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 30(2), 84-89.
- Spitznagel MB, Alosco ML, Inge T, Rochette A, Strain G, Devlin M, Crosby RD, Mitchell JE, Gunstad J. (2016). History of Obesity in Adolescence Affects Adult Cognition: Before and After Bariatric Surgery. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. Jan 29. Pii: S1550-7289(16)00028-9. Doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2016.01.023.
- Galioto R, Spitznagel MB (2016). The effects of breakfast and breakfast composition on cognition in adults. Advances in Nutrition. May 16;7(3):576S-89S. Doi: 10.3945/an. 115.010231.
- Spitznagel MB, Gunstad J, Manderino L, Heinberg L. (2015). Liver biopsy predicts cognitive function following bariatric surgery. Obesity (Silver Spring); Oct;23(10):1957-9. Doi: 10.1002/oby.21219.
- Hawkins M, Gunstad J, Calvo D, Spitznagel MB. (2016). Higher fasting glucose levels are associated with poorer cognition among otherwise healthy young adults with obesity. Health Psychology, Feb;35(2):199-202. Doi: 10.1037/hea0000248.
Ph.D., Ohio University (2003)
Neuropsychology, Obesity, Dementia, Ageing, Metabolism