Art, Design, & Performance
Welcome to the Art, Design, and Performance Career Community!
If you are interested in careers in Art, Dance, Design, Fashion, Music, Theatre, or Visual Design, take a moment to explore the resources here. Wherever you are in your career journey -- exploring, seeking internships or intensives, looking for jobs, or career data to prove to your family that you won’t be a starving artist -- this page is designed to be a resource in your career development.
This is a starting point for discovering career resources specifically for the Art, Design, & Performance Career Community including information on how to:
- Connect and meet with the community career and internship advisors
- Sign up for the community newsletters and Handshake notifications
- Search for full-time, part-time, co-op, and internship positions
- Find community-specific career and networking events
Use these resources to explore the field, network with alumni and employers, and build relationships and relevant skills to match your career goals.
Join This Community
By signing up you hear FIRST about networking opportunities, on-campus events, and new internships and jobs.
To get started, update your Handshake profile career interests and select this community.
Search below for full-time, part-time, internships, apprenticeships, freelance, auditions, and volunteer opportunities for all creative career interests.
- Artist Communities Alliance (residencies)
- Indeed (jobs, internships)
- Upwork (for freelancing)
- Creative Compass, Cleveland area (jobs, auditions, internships)
- Disney College Program (7 month work/learning experience)
- Netflix (jobs, internships)
- Ohio Arts Council (jobs, grants, other resources)
- Smithsonian Museums (internships)
- Sundance Institute (jobs, internships, volunteer)
Explore Careers in Art, Design, & Performance:
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- American Theatre Wing (videos on wide-variety of careers in theatre)
- The Art Career Project
- Careers in Visual Art
- Careers in Visual Communication Design
- Theatre People (explore different job roles in theatre productions)
- “Uncle Henry is Wrong- There’s a lot you can do with an Art & Design degree”
Join Student Organizations
Getting involved in student organizations on campus allows you to build your network, develop valuable skills, and receive hands-on opportunities for personal and professional development. Start exploring the 400+ organizations available and join those that interest you!
Learn More About Professional and Arts Advocacy Associations
Connecting with others in your field is an important part of building your professional network. Professional organizations often have student memberships and provide numerous opportunities for learning, connecting, as well as access to job posting sites. The career one stop tool kit (link below) is a searchable professional association finder.
Find Professional Organizations
Network and Connect with Alumni and Employers
Additional Resources for the Art, Design, & Performance Career Community
- Stage Fright or Interview Nerves? Think “I’m excited” (Fast Company)
- Pantone Color Trends
- Handshake Message a Peer
- What Can I Do With This Major?
Art & Design
- Art & Design News, New York Times
- Troppus Projects, Kent (juried exhibition and collaborative website to promote & sell your art)
Theatre and Dance
- Ballet News
- Call Board for Kent State Theatre and Dance’s main stage and student productions
- Dance News, New York Times
- Performing Arts News, NPR
- Six Tips for Getting Your Solo Play to Broadway (NY Times, 10/30/2018)
- Summer Professional Theatres Listing
- Ten Audition Tips for Actors (The Producer’s Perspective, 2020)
- Ten Tips for a Winning Audition (Backstage, 1/27/2020)
- Theatre News, New York Times
- Treading the Boards Regional & Off-Broadway Theatre Guide