About 365 Days/365 plays
By Suzan-Lori Parks
Acclaimed playwright Suzan-Lori Parks wrote a play a day for a whole year! We will be producing a collection of them, viewed through a 2021 lens. The plays range in genre from parody and theater-of-the-absurd to pieces of powerful lyricism and epic tragedy that speak forcefully to past and present issues. We are looking to cast a diverse, curious ensemble of humans, who are amped to work and perform (in-person, with pandemic protocols) through a consent-based, collaborative process. Actors will play multiple roles. No prior stage experience necessary. Open to all members of the Kent State community.
Thursday, August 26 and Friday, August 27, 2021; Location TBD
Preparing for Your Audition
- Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time to fill out paperwork and contact information.
- If you have health concerns that may prevent you from attending the initial audition, please contact production stage manager Granger Cavanaugh – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Everyone you encounter at the audition will be masked. Please remember to bring yours.
- In the audition room will be Courtney Brown (faculty and director), Granger Cavanaugh (student and PSM), at least one other student from the production team.
- Please choose to share 1 of the following options:
- A memorized monologue of your choice, lasting no longer than 90 seconds
- A memorized story, either your own, or someone else’s, lasting no longer than 90 seconds
- A short monologue from 365 Days/ 365 Plays, located here: (Does not need to be memorized.)
- This Is Probably Not a Play (does not need to be memorized)
Some of the plays include profanity, derogatory language, and deal with themes of war and violence. The production anticipates moments of stylized violence and potential physical contact. All necessary moments of violence and theatrical intimacy will be choreographed utilizing a consent-based process, establishing and respecting boundaries.
A PDF of some of the plays can is located here:
Callback Auditions: Monday, August 30, 2021 from 6-10 p.m. in Erdmann-Zucchero Theatre
- We are calling a different group of actors each hour to read. Please be available to read over the course of 60 minutes. You may be asked to read for multiple roles, so look over all the sides.
- Please contact production stage manager Granger Cavanaugh at email@example.com immediately if you cannot attend.
- Attached you'll find the sides for the callback. Choose 1 of the sides that resonates with you to share. There will be a reader available if you choose a scene. Material need not be memorized but try to be as familiar with it as you can. We will have hard copies available at the audition for you.
Rehearsals will begin Thursday, September 2, 2021.
Opening and Performances
Performances of 365 Days/365 Plays will take place October 7-13, 2021 in Wright-Curtis Theatre.
Health and Safety Plan
We will be rehearsing and performing in person, closely adhering to university and industry protocols to minimize health concerns and undue risk during the on-going pandemic.