In an effort to slow the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) by practicing physical distancing, the School of Theatre and Dance will virtually produce 35mm: A Musical Exhibition during the Spring 2021 semester.
About 35mm: A Musical Exhibition
Music and Lyrics by Ryan Scott Oliver
Inspired by the photographs of Matthew Murphy
Setting: Anywhere, Everywhere, Here
A contemporary song-cycle, the idea behind 35mm: A Musical Exhibition is that a picture can not only paint a thousand words, it can conjure up a song. Fifteen photographs are [some version of] projected onto a screen whilst twelve to fifteen cast members belt out tunes intended to illuminate the stories behind the images.
35mm: A Musical Exhibition will be fully remote production that will be prerecorded, edited, and livestreamed on designated days and times. The production will be rehearsed primarily remotely. It is our intention to incorporate elements of design into the production.
How to Audition
In order to audition, students should fill out the audition form, linked below, and submit a self-tape by 5 p.m. on Sunday, January 24, 2021.
You will also be asked to run an internet speed test, so it would be helpful if you filled out your form while in your living space to get the most accurate data.
Please note, the audition form will collect your self-tape, headshot, and resume. If you would like, please share your pronouns on your audition form. Please title your files in the following manner LAST NAME_FIRST NAME.
What to Prepare for Your Self-Tape Audition
Please prepare and film yourself singing 16-32 bars of a song in the contemporary pop/rock style of 35mm… exhibiting your vocal range and ability to sing in character.
(adapted from Docherty Model and Talent)
- Before you monologue, please SLATE your name by saying “First Name, Last Name, the title and author of the play, preferred pronouns if you would like, Year (frosh, soph, jun, etc.), and Major.”
- Shoot horizontally and at eye-level. As much as you can, be aware of your lighting, background and sound. Just do your best. It is OK. You may use your iPhone, iPad, tablet, Android phone, computer or external camera to record your audition. Useful apps for recording self-tapes include Slatable and iMovie. Both are free.
- Your videos should be either .MP4 or .MOV and it's best if each video is less than (or around) 50 MB.
- Label your video in this format: FirstName LastName.MP4 (or .MOV)
- Upload your video here or by clicking the link in the audition form below.
We are looking to form a diverse company of 12-14 strong pop singer/performers that includes BIPOC, LGBTQ+, male, female, and nonbinary identifying actors.
Please be advised: 35mm contains references and discussion of violence, abuse, sex, strong language, problematic relationships, and mental health.
Callbacks, if needed, will happen on Wednesday, January 27 and will be announced on the evening of Sunday, January 24. They will be held via Zoom.
Rehearsals will be held via Zoom beginning on or after Monday, February 1..
Opening and Performances
35mm: A Musical Exhibition will perform late Spring semester [May] 2021. The date of the opening will be determined by the technical needs of the show and the conditions on the ground. There will be three total showings of the production. Admission will be free and ticket registration will be available at a later date.
In keeping with the freedom of choice of instruction measures instituted by Kent State due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the School of Theatre and Dance Performance Area has made a decision to amend the BFA Musical Theatre Program Requirement #3. This change is in effect for Spring 2021 productions ONLY.
The temporary changes are as follows:
- BFA Musical Theatre and MFA Acting for the Returning Professional students may elect NOT to audition for the Spring Mainstage Season. If you choose not to audition, please e-mail email@example.com by January 22, 2021. You are NOT required to let us know why you are making your choice.
- If a BFA Musical Theatre or MFA Acting for the Returning Professional student decides TO Audition for the 2021 Spring Mainstage Season, they must audition for BOTH of the Mainstage productions.
- BFA Musical Theatre Program Requirement #3 (see below) will remain in effect for those students that elect to Audition for the 2021 Spring Mainstage Season.
“BFA Musical Theatre candidates are required to audition for all theatre division main stage productions and accept roles if cast. Exemptions to the audition requirement may be granted under certain circumstances. Circumstances include but are not limited to: religious beliefs, moral objection, psychological triggers with the play and physical concerns. In order to be exempted from the audition requirement, students must submit a written petition to the performance faculty prior to the beginning of the casting process for the production in question. The performance faculty will make a good faith effort to deliberate and come to a decision on the petition at the first performance area meeting after the receipt of the petition. At no point will a student be asked to disclose sensitive personal information.”
For information on all the BFA MT requirements please go to the following. https://www.kent.edu/theatredance/revised-requirements-bfa-musical-theatre-program