Students who wish to enroll in the Bachelor of Arts in Dance Studies or Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Performance programs at Kent State must participate in a dance audition for admission. An audition is not required for admission to the dance minor, but dance minors who wish to enroll in professional level dance courses must participate in an audition.
2019-2020 Dance Audition Dates
The Saturday, April 4 audition is CANCELLED.
In response to Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine’s proactive approach to keeping our state safe during the ongoing spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), Kent State University has suspended all in-person classes and university sponsored events, both on-campus and off-campus, through the end of the Spring 2020 semester.
Prospective students seeking admission for Fall 2020 are asked to submit a video audition via the instructions below. Please note, prospective students may be asked to attend the August 22 in-person audition for placement purposes in follow-up to their video audition.
Audition dates for 2020-2021 will be posted online soon.
Alternate Audition Options
Students interested in pursuing one of the alternate audition options will still need to complete audition registration through Acceptd. Instructions can be found further down the page.
If unable to attend one of the designated audition dates, prospective students may arrange to visit the School of Theatre and Dance to take a ballet class, modern class, and perform a solo.
To arrange a visit, please contact Dance Division Coordinator Jeffrey Marc Rockland at 330-672-0124 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit a Video
Prospective students may also submit a video audition. Video auditions must include:
- A short introduction (approximately 30 to 60 seconds) discussing your career goals in dance and why you are want to study dance at Kent State.
- Ballet Barre: plié, tendu, dégagé, rond de jamb à terre, frappé, developpé and grand battement.
- Ballet Center: adagio, pirouettes (en de hors and en de dans), petit allegro and grand allegro.
- Solo: in the genre/style that showcases your talent. The solo may be choreographed by the applicant or another person. Please give credit to the choreographer if solo is not the applicant's choreography.
Video submissions can be shared via YouTube, Vimeo, Google Drive, or Drop Box. Please send to email@example.com.
Register for a Dance Audition
The School of Theatre and Dance uses Acceptd for dance audition registration. Prospective students are asked to register for an audition no later than 1 week prior to the audition date. The link to access Acceptd is below.
- Click on the Acceptd link provided below. The link will take you to the Kent State College of the Arts landing page on Acceptd.
- On the left hand side of the page under "Start An Application" select School of Theatre and Dance as the program group and select Dance as the program.
- Click "Apply to Dance."
- Create an Acceptd account as prompted or log in if you already have one.
- Complete the application as instructed.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Information on previous dance experience
- Letter of recommendation
- A photo for identification purposes
Letter of Recommendation Requirements
A letter of recommendation is required. A letter from a current dance instructor is preferred, however a letter from a previous teacher is permitted. The letter should briefly address the student’s technical and creative abilities, degree of commitment, attendance habits and class attitude.
The photo does NOT need to be a professional photo or a "dance" photo. It can be an informal snapshot, enlarged photocopy of your Driver's License photo, etc. This photo will be used to ensure that faculty are referring to the correct individual when completing evaluations.
For More Information
On-Campus Audition Format
Dance auditions are comprised of a group audition and Dance major interviews and solo auditions.
The movement portion of the audition takes place in Dance Studio D123 in the Kent Center for the Performing Arts located at 1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242.
Note: Individuals auditioning for Dance minor are excused following group audition. Prospective Dance majors are excused following their solo audition.
12:30 - 1:00 p.m. Arrive at the Kent State University School of Theatre and Dance (Center for the Performing Arts, 1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, OH 44242). Free parking is available across the street in the large commuter lot.
1:00 - 1:30 p.m. Q & A with Dance Faculty and Students in Dance Studio D123
1:30 - 2:00 p.m. Break – Open Studio
2:00 - 2:40 p.m. Group Ballet Audition (Ballet Barre and movement across floor) in Dance Studio D123
2:45 - 3:20 p.m. Group Modern Audition (Modern combinations and Improvisation) in Dance Studio D123
3:25 - 4:00 p.m. Group Jazz Audition (Jazz combination) in Dance Studio D123
4:00 p.m. Dance minor applicants excused
4:00 - 5:30 p.m. Individual presentations of Dance Majors' solos and Interviews
Expectations for Those Auditioning
- Alignment, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Ability to pick up combinations
- Ability to make corrections
- Ability to persevere even if mistakes are made
- Movement flow
- Sensitivity to energy, dynamics and force
- Performance quality
- Openness to new ideas
- Enthusiasm for dance
- Tights (footless, stirrup or convertible)
- Ballet slippers
- Jazz shoes
Audition results will be sent to applicants approximately 2 to 3 weeks following auditions. Confirmation of intention to attend Kent State University is requested by May 15.