Students who wish to enroll in the Bachelor of Arts in Dance Studies or Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Performance programs at Kent State must participate in a dance audition for admission. An audition is not required for admission to the dance minor, but dance minors who wish to be considered for advanced placement, must participate in an audition.
How to Audition for Entry to the Dance Program
Fall 2022 Enrollment
Students wishing to enroll for the Fall 2022 semester are required to audition on one of the School of Theatre and Dance's in-person dance program audition days (dates listed below) OR submit a video audition by April 1, 2022.
2021-2022 In-Person Audition Dates
November 20, 2021
February 19, 2022
April 9, 2022
Register for a Dance Audition Through Acceptd
The School of Theatre and Dance uses Acceptd for dance audition registration. If you are attending an in-person audition, prospective students are asked to register for an audition no later than 1 week prior to the audition date. The link to access Acceptd is below.
General Acceptd Instructions
- Click on the Acceptd link provided below. The link will take you to the Kent State College of the Arts landing page on Acceptd.
- On the left hand side of the page under "Start An Application" select School of Theatre and Dance as the program group and select Dance as the program.
- Click "Apply to Dance."
- Create an Acceptd account as prompted or log in if you already have one.
- Complete the application as instructed.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Information on previous dance experience
- Letter of recommendation
- A photo for identification purposes
- For those auditioning in person:
- A video introduction no more than 2 minutes in length discussing your previous dance background, your future career goals, and what brought you to Kent State.
- Come to the in-person audition prepared with a 1.5 - 2-minute solo that showcases your talent and ability, and your music on a CD or your phone. If bringing your phone, please also bring any adapter needed for an auxiliary cable.
- For those auditioning via video:
- A video introduction no more than 2 minutes in length discussing your previous dance background, your future career goals, and what brought you to Kent State
- A video of one of the specified and demonstrated combinations (see section below)
- A video of a 1.5 - 3 minute solo in a style or genre which contrasts the combination you chose
- (Please note – all three of the above items can be combined into one video and can either be shared within your Acceptd application as a link or as an uploaded file.)
Letter of Recommendation Requirements
A letter of recommendation is required. A letter from a current dance instructor is preferred, however a letter from a previous teacher is permitted. The letter should briefly address the student’s technical and creative abilities, degree of commitment, attendance habits and class attitude.
The photo does NOT need to be a professional photo or a "dance" photo. It can be an informal snapshot, enlarged photocopy of your Driver's License photo, etc. This photo will be used to ensure that faculty are referring to the correct individual when completing evaluations.
Combinations to Include in Video Audition or Prepare for In-Person Audition
All dancers auditioning virtually for the Kent State dance program are asked to choose one of the following combinations for inclusion in their video audition. For those auditioning in-person, all three combinations will be part of the live audition.
Ballet - Center Floor - Adagio with Pirouette Combination
On-Campus Audition Format
Dance auditions are comprised of a group audition and Dance major interviews and solo auditions.
The movement portion of the audition takes place in Dance Studio D123 in the Kent Center for the Performing Arts located at 1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242.
Note: Individuals auditioning for Dance minor are excused following group audition. Prospective Dance majors are excused following their solo audition.
12:30 - 1:00 p.m. Arrive at the Kent State University School of Theatre and Dance (Center for the Performing Arts, 1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, OH 44242). Free parking is available across the street in the large commuter lot.
1:00 - 1:30 p.m. Q & A with Dance Faculty and Students in Dance Studio D123
1:30 - 2:00 p.m. Break – Open Studio
2:00 - 2:40 p.m. Group Ballet Audition (Ballet Barre and movement across floor) in Dance Studio D123
2:45 - 3:20 p.m. Group Modern Audition (Modern combinations and Improvisation) in Dance Studio D123
3:25 - 4:00 p.m. Group Jazz Audition (Jazz combination) in Dance Studio D123
4:00 p.m. Dance minor applicants excused
4:00 - 5:30 p.m. Individual presentations of Dance Majors' solos and Interviews
Expectations for Those Auditioning
- Alignment, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Ability to pick up combinations
- Ability to make corrections
- Ability to persevere even if mistakes are made
- Movement flow
- Sensitivity to energy, dynamics and force
- Performance quality
- Openness to new ideas
- Enthusiasm for dance
- Tights (footless, stirrup or convertible)
- Ballet slippers
- Jazz shoes
Alternate Audition Option
Students interested in pursuing one of the alternate audition options will still need to complete audition registration through Acceptd. Instructions can be above.
If unable to attend one of the designated audition dates, prospective students may arrange to visit the School of Theatre and Dance to take a ballet class, modern class, and perform a solo. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this option may not be available.
To arrange a visit, please contact Dance Division Coordinator Jeffrey Marc Rockland at 330-672-0124 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition results will be sent to applicants approximately 2 to 3 weeks following auditions. Confirmation of intention to attend Kent State University is requested by May 15.
For More Information
For more information about registering for an audition or if you encounter any issues using the Acceptd platform, please contact Gaye Blair at 330-672-0106 or email@example.com.