How to Apply and Register for an In-Person Dance Audition
2. Go to the Audition Portal and log in using the email address and password used to access your Kent State application (if you applied with the Common Application, you received your login information in an email).
3. Select your audition date by selecting the appropriate College of the Arts: Dance Auditions link.
4. Fill in the appropriate information. (Name, Intended Degree, etc.)
5. Once filled out, you should receive a confirmation email. You will receive information regarding the schedule for the day approximately 10-14 days out from the audition.
If you are attending an in-person audition, prospective students are asked to register for an audition no later than 1 week prior to the audition date.
Please be prepared to provide the following:
- Information on previous dance experience
- Letter of recommendation (see requirements below)
- A photo for identification purposes (see requirements below)
- For those auditioning in person:
- A video introduction no more than 2 minutes in length discussing your previous dance background, your future career goals, and what brought you to Kent State.
- Come to the in-person audition prepared with a 1.5 - 2-minute solo that showcases your talent and ability, and your music on a CD or your phone. If bringing your phone, please also bring any adapter needed for an auxiliary cable.
Letter of Recommendation Requirements
A letter of recommendation is required. A letter from a current dance instructor is preferred, however a letter from a previous teacher is permitted. The letter should briefly address the student’s technical and creative abilities, degree of commitment, attendance habits and class attitude.
The photo does NOT need to be a professional photo or a "dance" photo. It can be an informal snapshot, enlarged photocopy of your Driver's License photo, etc. This photo will be used to ensure that faculty are referring to the correct individual when completing evaluations.
Combinations to Include in Video Audition or Prepare for In-Person Audition
All dancers auditioning virtually for the Kent State dance program are asked to choose one of the following combinations for inclusion in their video audition. For those auditioning in-person, all three combinations will be part of the live audition.
Ballet - Center Floor - Adagio with Pirouette Combination
On-Campus, In-Person Audition Format
Dance auditions are comprised of a group audition and Dance major interviews and solo auditions.
The movement portion of the audition takes place in Dance Studio D123 in the Kent Center for the Performing Arts located at 1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242.
Note: Individuals auditioning for Dance minor are excused following group audition. Prospective Dance majors are excused following their solo audition.
12:30 - 1:00 p.m. Arrive at the Kent State University School of Theatre and Dance (Center for the Performing Arts, 1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, OH 44242). Free parking is available across the street in the large commuter lot.
1:00 - 1:30 p.m. Q & A with Dance Faculty and Students in Dance Studio D123
1:30 - 2:00 p.m. Break – Open Studio
2:00 - 2:40 p.m. Group Ballet Audition (Ballet Barre and Ballet combination) in Dance Studio D123
2:45 - 3:20 p.m. Group Modern Audition (Modern combinations and Improvisation) in Dance Studio D123
3:25 - 4:00 p.m. Group Jazz Audition (Jazz combination) in Dance Studio D123
4:00 p.m. Dance minor applicants excused
4:00 - 5:30 p.m. Individual presentations of Dance Majors' solos and Interviews
Expectations for Those Auditioning
- Alignment, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Ability to pick up combinations
- Ability to make corrections
- Ability to persevere even if mistakes are made
- Movement flow
- Sensitivity to energy, dynamics and force
- Performance quality
- Openness to new ideas
- Enthusiasm for dance
- Tights (footless, stirrup or convertible)
- Ballet slippers
- Jazz shoes
If unable to attend one of the designated audition dates, prospective students may arrange to visit the School of Theatre and Dance to take a ballet class, modern class, and perform a solo. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this option may not be available.
To arrange a visit, please contact Acting Dance Division Coordinator Barbara A. Verlezza at 330-672-0125 or email@example.com
Audition results will be sent to applicants approximately 2 to 3 weeks following auditions. Confirmation of intention to attend Kent State University is requested by May 15.
For More Information
For more information about registering for an audition, please contact Gaye Blair at 330-672-0106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.