Students who wish to enroll in the Bachelor of Arts in Dance Studies or Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Performance programs at Kent State must participate in a dance audition for admission. An audition is not required for admission to the dance minor, but dance minors who wish to enroll in professional level dance courses must participate in an audition.
2019-2020 Dance Audition Dates
Saturday, August 17, 2019
Saturday, November 23, 2019
Saturday, February 15, 2020
Saturday, April 4, 2020
Register for a Dance Audition
The School of Theatre and Dance uses Acceptd for dance audition registration. Prospective students are asked to register for an audition no later than 1 week prior to the audition date. The link to access Acceptd is below.
- Click on the Acceptd link provided below. The link will take you to the Kent State College of the Arts landing page on Acceptd.
- On the left hand side of the page under "Start An Application" select School of Theatre and Dance as the program group and select Dance as the program.
- Click "Apply to Dance"
- Create an Acceptd account as prompted or login if you already have one.
- Complete the application as instructed
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Information on previous dance experience
- Letter of recommendation
- A photo for identification purposes
Letter of Recommendation Requirements
A letter of recommendation is required. A letter from a current dance instructor is preferred, however a letter from a previous teacher is permitted. The letter should briefly address the student’s technical and creative abilities, degree of commitment, attendance habits and class attitude.
The photo does NOT need to be a professional photo or a "dance" photo. It can be an informal snapshot, enlarged photocopy of your Driver's License photo, etc. This photo will be used to ensure that faculty are referring to the correct individual when completing evaluations.
For More Information
Dance auditions a comprised of a group audition and Dance major interviews and solo auditions.
The movement portion of the audition takes place in Dance Studio D123 in the Kent Center for the Performing Arts located at 1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, OH 44242.
Note: Individuals auditioning for Dance minor are excused following group audition. Prospective Dance majors are excused following their solo audition.
Expectations for Those Auditioning
- Alignment, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Ability to pick up combinations
- Ability to make corrections
- Ability to persevere even if mistakes are made
- Movement flow
- Sensitivity to energy, dynamics and force
- Performance quality
- Openness to new ideas
- Enthusiasm for dance
- Tights (footless, stirrup or convertible)
- Ballet slippers
- Jazz Shoes
Dancers auditioning in August will receive their results immediately following the end of the audition day. Dancers auditioning in November, February, and April will receive their results by mail 2 to 3 weeks following their audition.