Musical Theatre Auditions
Individuals interested in enrolling in the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre program at Kent State must participate in an audition. Candidates for admission into the musical theatre program must demonstrate potential for success in the areas of Acting, Voice, and Dance.
2017-2018 Audition Dates
Saturday, November 11, 2017
Friday, March 2, 2018
Saturday, March 3, 2018
The candidate will prepare one contemporary monologue from a published play not to exceed two minutes. The monologue must be memorized.
The candidate will prepare two songs. Both songs must be from the standard musical theatre repertory and must represent a contrast of style, (i.e. one up-tempo and one ballad). Both must be memorized. Selections should not be an entire song. Thirty two bars are sufficient. Selections should not exceed two minutes combined. Please bring sheet music in your key. An accompanist will be provided. Candidates may be asked to participate in a pitch-matching exercise.
Together, the Acting and Voice components should not exceed more than 4 minutes in length.
All students will participate in the Musical Theatre Dance audition. A group audition will be conducted. Therefore, all candidates are asked to dress in dance attire and bring ballet slippers and/or jazz shoes, if available.
Those who are accepted into the BFA Program and have advanced training will be asked to come back for the professional level dance auditions for placement purposes.
All candidates are asked to dress in dance attire and bring ballet slippers and/or jazz shoes, if available.
Musical Theatre Audition Application
First Time Applicants to the Musical Theatre Program
The School of Theatre and Dance utilizes the Acceptd platform to facilitate musical theatre program auditions. Prospective students are asked to register for an audition no later than 1 week prior to the audition date.
Note: Registering for an audition through Acceptd does not replace the application for Freshman or Transfer Admission to Kent State University. If you are re-auditioning for the BFA in Musical Theatre program, do not fill out the Decision Desk application.
- Click on the Acceptd link provided below. The link will take you to the Kent State College of the Arts landing page on Acceptd.
- On the left hand side of the page under "Start An Application" select School of Theatre and Dance as the program group and select BFA Musical Theatre as the program.
- Click "Apply to BFA Musical Theatre"
- Create an Acceptd account as prompted or login if you already have one.
- Complete the application as instructed
- Pay the $25 application fee
Prior to applying through Acceptd, please be prepared to supply the following information:
- Contact Information
- Education History (including SAT, ACT scores and Grade Point Average)
- Vocal and Dance Training Histories
- Vocal Selections for Audition
- Monologue Selections for Audition
- Previous Theatre Experience
- Names and contact information for recommendation forms
- Credit card information to pay the $25 application fee
LINK COMING SOON
Individuals Re-Auditioning for Musical Theatre Program
Do not fill out the Acceptd application if you are re-auditioning.
Day of Audition
- Sheet music
- Headshot (optional)
How Auditions Are Scheduled
Audition times are scheduled backwards beginning at 3:30PM, then moving downwards to the 9:00 AM hour. You will receive a confirmation letter indicating your audition time.
Please arrive a half-an-hour before the time designated on the letter.
For More Information
For more information about the BFA Theatre Program, please contact Terri Kent, Musical Theatre Coordinator, at email@example.com.