Musical Theatre Auditions
Individuals interested in enrolling in the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre program at Kent State must participate in an audition.
Auditions for Fall 2021 entry to Kent State University's Musical Theatre program will be held virtually in two stages: a Pre-Screen (rolling through January 25, 2021) and a Final Audition on February 26 and 27, 2021.
How to Audition for Fall 2021 Entry to the Musical Theatre Program
Prospective students who wish to audition for the Musical Theatre program must register for an audition through Acceptd and submit a video audition. Video submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis through January 25, 2021. Applicants will be notified whether they are called back for a final audition at the end of January.
- Fill out the registration form on the Acceptd website by visiting the link below.
- Click on the Acceptd link provided below. The link will take you to the Kent State College of the Arts landing page on Acceptd.
- On the left hand side of the page under "Start An Application" select School of Theatre and Dance as the program group and select BFA Musical Theatre as the program.
- Click "Apply to BFA Musical Theatre"
- Create an Acceptd account as prompted or login if you already have one.
- Complete the application as instructed, including uploading or providing a link to your video audition.
Prior to applying through Acceptd, please be prepared to supply the following information:
- Contact Information
- Education History
- Vocal and Dance Training Histories
- Vocal Selections for Audition
- Monologue Selections for Audition
- Previous Theatre Experience
- Names and contact information for recommendation forms
Video Audition Format
The candidate will prepare one contemporary monologue from a published play not to exceed two minutes. The monologue must be memorized.
The candidate will prepare two songs. Both songs must be from the standard musical theatre repertory and must represent a contrast of style, (i.e. one up-tempo and one ballad). Both must be memorized. Selections should not be an entire song. Thirty two bars are sufficient. Selections should not exceed two minutes combined. Vocal selections must be sung with accompaniment. A Cappella submissions will not be accepted.
If you have a dance reel you are encouraged to submit it with your songs and monologue. In addition, please upload the following basics. A video demonstrating these dance basics is at the link below.
Those who are accepted into the BFA Program and have advanced training will be asked to participate in an advanced level dance audition for placement purposes. This will happen once enrolled in the program.
- Skill #1: A clean double pirouette on the right and left sides, either turned in or turned out, landing in any position.
- Skill #2: A grand jeté on the right and left sides, with straight leg or through développé.
- Skill #3: Pas de bourrée on the right and left sides.
- Skill #4: Battement on the right and left sides.
All candidates are asked to dress in dance attire and bring ballet slippers and/or jazz shoes, if available.
Final auditions for Fall 2021 entry to the Kent State University Musical Theatre program will take place virtually on February 26 and 27, 2021. Notifications for the Final Audition stage along with additional instructions will be sent out at the end of January 2021.
Individuals Re-Auditioning for Musical Theatre Program
Do not fill out the Acceptd application unless you are instructed to.
For More Information
For more information about the BFA Theatre Program, please contact Terri Kent, Musical Theatre Coordinator, at email@example.com.
For more information about registering for an audition, please contact Patty Bujorian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-672-0106.