Information for Parents/Families
As a parent of a new student, we strongly encourage you to review your student’s medical history with them before they leave home to attend Kent State.
Important topics to cover, may include:
- Current medications, dosage and reason for taking.
- Any allergies to medicines and what reactions they have had.
- Significant past medical and family history.
If your student has health insurance, provide them with an insurance card or copy of the card and review the use of the card with your student.
- ID number.
- Group number.
- Name and date of birth of the policy holder.
- Plan requirements such as referrals, authorizations or use of an HMO network.
- Approved pharmacies for prescription insurance.
Please be aware that under HIPAA regulations, we cannot discuss your student’s medical conditions with you once they are 18 years of age without the student’s permission.
If your student is younger than 18 at the start of the semester, we will require either verbal or written permission from you to treat the student.