Financial Aid and Scholarships

Studying abroad can be affordable! Many programs offer the same tuition rates as Kent State, and some programs even have lower tuition.

Financial Aid

It is possible to use your federal financial aid to go on Kent State University-approved programs. The Student Financial Aid Office has provided the following document to help inform students about using financial aid abroad.

Education Abroad & Student Financial Aid booklet

It is also possible to use most Kent State scholarships for education abroad costs. If you receive a tuition waiver, that can also be applied to eligible education abroad programs. It is important to note that if you do receive a tuition waiver, you must make sure to tell your Education Abroad Advisor.

If you receive Post 9/11 GI Bill funds, you may be able to use that money to help pay for study abroad. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has created a sheet to explain what GI Bill funds might cover. Please contact if you have any questions about using VA benefits for education abroad programs.

For more information, contact Financial Aid at or visit the "Steps to Receive Financial Aid for Education Abroad Programs" page here:


There are many opportunities to apply for education abroad scholarships. The listing provided is not a comprehensive list; so, students are encouraged to search for additional scholarships. It is important to start researching scholarships early, as many have early deadlines of up to a year in advance.

Additionally, some education abroad programs include scholarships that help pay for things such as tuition or flights. These programs can be found by going to the Program Search page and selecting ‘Yes’ in the parameter box that says Program Specific Scholarship.

You can use the Scholarship Application Tracker to keep track of what scholarships you are planning to apply for as well as their due dates, requirements, and application websites.

Saving for Your Education Abroad Program

You can use the Education Abroad Savings Plan to help you create an estimated monthly savings plan for your program. Input the requested information in the yellow cells to calculate your costs, and the savings plan will tell you the estimated amount you need to save each month. You can also use the Monthly Tracker to keep track of how much you have saved.