The Piano Division offers top-quality training and mentorship with nurturing faculty
Kent State is an all-Steinway school. Offering programs in composition, education, performance and more.
|Donna Lee, Coordinator of the Piano Division|
|Andrew “Drew Le, Coordinator of Collaborative Piano|
|Theron Brown, Jazz Piano|
|Hana Chu, Instructor and Collaborative Pianist|
Private Lessons and Studio Classes
Weekly lessons provide students with an in-depth study of repertoire, technique and pedagogy with a master artist-teacher.
Studio classes are held weekly.
- These classes give students the opportunity to perform for each other and receive valuable feedback.
- Masterclasses are sometimes presented by guest artists during this time.
- Special topics of interest to pianists and other special events are also held during this time.
- Piano undergraduate and graduate majors perform in both solo and collaborative recitals, either their own and/or working with other musicians on their recital.
- Ensembles: Many large ensembles, including the bands, choir and orchestra, require pianists on most concerts.
- Off-campus opportunities include area churches and performances on regional music series.
Special Features of the Piano Division
The Piano Division offers many unique opportunities to students enrolled in the program and the greater Northeast Ohio community.
Students often play for prominent guest artists in masterclasses. Distinguished clinicians have recently included Andreas Haefliger, Eduardus Halim, Juilian Martin, Elisabeth and Eugene Pridonoff, among many others.
Kent Keyboard Series
A staple of the classical music scene in Northeast Ohio, the five-concert Kent Keyboard Series brings many of the country’s pre-eminent performers and pedagogues to Kent State University. These artists perform in Ludwig Recital Hall and also regularly hold masterclasses for our students. Recent guests include Eduardus Halim, Logan Skelton, Elisabeth and Eugene Pridonoff, Thomas Schumacher and many other since its inception in 2001.
Teaching Institute Program
A pedagogy initiative, this unique opportunity offers the chance for undergraduate and graduate piano majors to gain experience working with pre-college students from across the region in a private lesson environment. Kent State's piano faculty provide insight and guidance.
Degrees and Programs Offered
|B.A. Music Major||B.M. in Composition|
|B.M. Music Education||B.M. in Performance|
|M.M. in Performance||M.M. in Performance: Collaborative Piano|
|Music Minor||Jazz Studies Minor|
|World Music Minor||Arts Entrepreneurship Minor|
Question or Want More Information?
email@example.com | 330-672-2878