KSU Choral Ensembles are open to undergraduate and graduate students of any major.
KSU Choral Reception
Learn more about the choral program and auditions from directors Dr. Scott MacPherson, Dr. Chris Venesile, Mr. Jesse Reed and Mr. Bryon Black II.
- When: Wed., Aug. 26, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Where: Kent State Student Center Kiva.
- Who should attend?
- All KSU students who would be new to participating in the choral program at Kent State.
Fall 2020 Semester Auditions
Chorale, Coro Cantare, Cantique
- When: Thu., Aug. 27 & Fri., Aug. 28
- Where: Live, virtually held through Zoom.
- Sign-up: Pick your preferred date and time.
- Questions? Contact:
KSU Gospel Choir
- When: First day of rehearsal on Mon., Aug. 31.
- Where: Virtually.
- Contact: Bryon Black II to receive specific details at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nova Jazz Singers and Nova Jazz Workshop Ensemble
- Auditions will be held virtually with Dr. Chris Venesile. Email him at email@example.com for more details.
- For more information about these ensemble, please visit their page.
- This ensemble will not meet this semester.
- Please consider auditioning for a different choir that works with you schedule.
Voice placement audition Information
What does the placement audition consist of for Chorale, Coro Cantare and Cantique?
- Vocalizing to assess tone quality and range
- Aural skills exercises such as pitch matching and melodic memory
- Rhythm reading
- No need to bring a prepared song!
Placement materials for KSU Gospel Choir and Nova Jazz will be communicated by the directors of each ensemble.
- Don’t stop singing over the summer, keep using your voice!
- Do the vocal exercises you’ve done with previous choirs.
- Practice pitch matching. Play three notes and match each.
- Play a four-note melody and sing it back.
- Practice sight-reading and rhythm skills.
- A little bit of practice will go a long way!
- WARM UP! It is important that your voice is warmed up before you audition.
- Plan to arrive at least 10 minutes early to fill out an audition form.
- If you need to change your audition, please remove your reserved time on the online form and then set a new time.
- Placement audition results will be emailed to you by Wednesday at 5 p.m.
- Leave room in your schedule for the choir of your choice.
- Please register after the placement results are announced. Information will be provided.