Kent State’s Glauser School is a leader in music education in Ohio
One of only two public universities in Ohio to offer the B.M. through Ph.D. in Music Education. It is also home to the largest 100% online Master of Music in Music Education program in the United States.
Program Overview, Features and Resources
Our diverse and strong Music Education program regularly welcomes nearly 100 new majors in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and Ph.D. programs.
- Access to multiple ensembles: bands, choirs, jazz, orchestra, opera and World Music.
- Performing Arts Library, accessible both in-person and digitally.
- Nearly 200 annual events and concerts, including live streaming.
- Breadth of courses available: music theory, history, ethnomusicology, and education.
- Applied, individual study with faculty artist-teachers: brass, percussion, piano, strings, voice and woodwinds.
- Field experience partnerships with many local school districts to prepare students for varied music teaching positions.
- Coursework in cutting-edge areas of music teaching such as music technology, popular music, World Music.
- Most courses are taught by full-time faculty members with combined music teaching experience of more than 100 years.
- An active chapter of the Ohio Collegiate Music Educators Association.
- A Community Music Initiative that connects our School to the Kent educational community.
- Faculty leadership in national music education organizations such as the Society for Music Teacher Education, Technology Institute for Music Education, Gordon Institute for Music Learning, American Choral Directors Association, American String Teachers Association, College Band Directors National Association, and others.
Degrees and Programs Offered
|B.M. Music Education*||Online M.M. in Music Education*|
|M.A. in Teaching||Ph.D. in Music Education*|
|Jazz Studies Minor*||World Music Minor*|
|Arts Entrepreneurship Minor|
*All Glauser School programs are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
|Jay Dorfman, Ph.D||Herbert “Butch” Marshall, Ph.D.|
|Wendy K. Matthews, Ph.D.||Craig Resta, Ph.D.|
|Christopher Venesile, Ph.D.|
Questions or Want More Information?
Coordinator of Music Education
firstname.lastname@example.org | 330-672-3871