A Vibrant Community of String Players Led by Dedicated Artist-Teacher Specialists
Intensive guidance and mentorship from members of The Cleveland Orchestra, Verve Chamber Players and many other premier Northeast Ohio orchestras and chamber ensembles.
|Jung-Min Amy Lee, violin||Eunho Kim, violin and viola|
|Joanna Patterson Zakany, viola||Si-Yan Darren Li, cello|
|Bryan Thomas, double bass|
Lesson and Classes
- Lessons with dedicated artist-teachers
- Studio classes to perform and learn from your peers
- Chamber music and collaborative coaching
- Music history and theory classes add depth and enhance understanding of the music studied
From orchestral to chamber music to solo, students have numerous opportunities to test the skills and repertoire they have been working on.
- Required of all music majors and graduate students, recitals are a vital part of musical study. To prepare for this, students can perform in weekly studio classes, the Student Recital Series and the Performing Arts Library Open Mic days.
- Training in orchestral performance is an integral part of study at Kent State University. The Kent State University Orchestra performs a five to eight concert subscription series a year. Its repertoire is diverse, spanning from the Classical era to the 21st Century. The orchestra also performs with the KSU Opera every other year in fully staged productions and the Kent State Choirs every year.
- Coached by members of the Verve Chamber Players, Omni String Quartet and The Cleveland Orchestra, chamber music is a vital part of string study at Kent State. From quartets to trios to duos, students will learn the skills necessary to work with other musicians in a more intimate setting.
- Students also have numerous opportunities to perform on and off-campus in area orchestras and chamber groups.
In addition to these chamber music opportunities, we offer a highly selective MM in Chamber Music for pre-formed string quartets.
Alumni Success Stories
- Euclid Quartet, now in residence at IU-South Bend
- Hausmann Quartet, now in residence at UC San Diego
- Hyperion Quartet, now in residence at College of Saint Rose (Albany, NY)
- La Catrina Quartet, now in residence at Eastern New Mexico State University
- Telegraph Quartet (Eric Chen is a founding member), now based in San Francisco
Degrees and Programs Offered
|B.A. Music Major||B.M. in Composition|
|B.M. Music Education||B.M. in Performance|
|M.M. in Performance||M.M. in Performance: Chamber Music|
|Music Minor||Jazz Studies Minor|
|World Music Minor||Arts Entrepreneurship Minor|
Questions or Want More Information?
Glauser School Admissions
email@example.com | 330-672-2172
- Complete an application for admission to Kent State University.
- Complete an audition for admission to the Glauser School of Music.
English Language Proficiency Requirements for International Students:
All international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning a
- Minimum 525 TOEFL score (71 on the Internet-based version),
- Minimum 75 MELAB score,
- Minimum 6.0 IELTS score,
- Minimum 48 PTE score or
- Minimum 100 DET score; or by completing the ESL level 112 Intensive Program.
For more information on international admission, visit the Office of Global Education’s admission website.
- Violin: All major and minor scales and arpeggios, three octaves minimum memorized.
- Viola: All major and minor scales and arpeggios, three octaves minimum, memorized.
- Cello: All major and minor scales, three octaves minimum, memorized.
- Double Bass: All major scales, one-octave minimum, memorized.
Repertoire Requirements (accompaniment not required):
Concentration in: Performance
- Violin: one movement of a standard concerto and one movement of a Bach unaccompanied Sonata or Partita. Memorization is required.
- Viola: Two works contrasting in period and style. These works may be movements from a concerto/sonata or separate works. Memorization is required.
- Cello: Suggested repertoire - one movement of a standard concerto, and one movement of a Bach solo suite. Memorization is required.
- Double Bass: Marcello Sonata in E Minor (two contrasting movements) or work of comparable difficulty. Memorization is not required.
Concentration in Music Education, Bachelor of Arts in Music or Music Minor:
- Violin, Viola and Cello: Two-octave scales and two contrasting movements or pieces. Memorization optional.
- Double Bass: Marcello Sonata in E Minor (two contrasting movements) or work of comparable difficulty. Memorization is not required. Demonstration of sight reading proficiency.
Classical Guitar: Music Education, Bachelor of Arts in Music or Music Minor:
- Perform two or three contrasting pieces from memory.
- All applicants must audition on a classical (nylon string) guitar and may not play with a pick.
- Pieces performed must be of at least equivalent technical difficulty to the following:
- Heitor Villa-Lobos, Cinq Preludes
- Fernando Sor, Study in B minor
- J.S. Bach, Prelude to Cello Suite No. 1
- Leo Brouwer, El Decameron Negro
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the Stark Campus Admisisons Representative, Cindy Deng, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission.
- 3.0 GPA out of a 4.0 scale for unconditional admission.
- Official transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of career goals
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 525 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 71 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 74 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 50 PTE score
- Minimum 100 Duolingo test score
- Violin: Two contrasting movements from an unaccompanied Bach Sonata or Partita and the first movement from a standard concerto.
- Viola: Two contrasting movements from a Bach suite and the first movement from a standard concerto.
- Cello: Two contrasting movements from a Bach suite and the first movement from a standard concerto.
- Bass: One movement of a Bach Cello Suite. Two contrasting movements of a concerto or other significant solo work. Orchestral Excerpts: Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 3rd movement, and Mozart Symphony No. 40, 4th movement, mm. 49-70 or applicant’s choice. Scales with varied bow articulations (staccato, legato, detache, marcato).
Graduate String Quartet
- Two complete works of contrasting styles, demonstrating the quartet’s overall playing level.
- Following a live audition, there will be a coaching session with the faculty Artists-in-Residence.
- For audition recordings, a recording of two complete works of contrasting styles. A video recording is preferred.