About the Glauser School
Music has been part of the fabric of Kent State University for over 100 years, starting with the first head of the department Anne Maud Shamel and the first classes of special music students. Today, the Glauser School of Music celebrates its past while looking toward the future.
We offer comprehensive Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Degrees at the Kent Campus and the Stark Campus.
- Bachelor of Arts (General Music, Jazz Studies and Contemporary Popular Music majors)
- Bachelor of Music (Composition, Music Education and Performance majors)
- Bachelor of Science in Music Technology (Stark Campus-only)
Minors in General Music, Jazz Studies and World Music.
- Master of Arts (Composition, Ethnomusicology and Theory majors)
- Master of Music (Conducting, Music Education and Performance majors).
- Doctor of Philosophy (Music Education and Theory-Composition)
*All programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)*
Our Kent and Stark Campus faculty offer in-depth study in 14 distinct areas.
- Chamber Music: String Quartet
- Jazz Studies
- Piano and Collaborative Piano
Music Composition and Theory
Music Technology (Stark Campus exclusive program)
We offer many options for Music Majors, Minors and the broader Kent State and Northeast Ohio community.
- Wind Ensemble
- Symphony Band
- University Band
- Marching Band
- Flasher Brass
- Kent State Youth Winds
- Kent State Chorale
- Kent Chorus
- Coro Cantare
- Kent State Gospel Choir
- Jazz Orchestra
- Jazz Workshop Ensemble
- Numerous student combos
- Nova Jazz Singers
New Music Ensemble
- African Ensemble
- Thai Ensemble
- Steel Band
We have established partnerships with organizations and institutions across Northeast Ohio.
Media and Educational Programming Partners
- Akron Public Schools: Firestone Community Learning Center
- The Akron Symphony
- Cleveland Classical
- The Cleveland Orchestra
- Cleveland School of the Arts
- Kent City Schools
- Kent State Orchestra Society
- Kulas Foundation
- Music from the Western Reserve
- The Record-Courier
- Tuesday Musical
Community Engagement Programs
A Community of Change-makers, Creators and Innovators
The College of the Arts at Kent State University includes the School of Music, School of Art, School of Theatre and Dance, and the School of Fashion Design and Merchandising, making it one of the largest academic units at Kent State.
To empower global leaders who ignite creativity, inspire discovery and transform all lives through the arts.
The College of the Arts will lead as innovators and global change-makers, advancing a creative and collaborative culture.