Learn more about the summit's Plenary Presentations including speakers and presentation descriptions.
Plenary 1: Inspiring Hope— The Future of Education for Latinx Communities
- Germaine Peña, Manager of Post-Secondary Initiatives at Esperanza, Inc.
- Yasin Cuevas, Assistant Director of Programs at Esperanza, Inc.
Through an engaging presentation by Esperanza, Inc. which has been serving Cleveland’s Latino youth for over 30+ years, participants will focus on the effect of partnerships and best practices that build sustainable programs focused on mentoring, leadership building, and comprehensive post-secondary and family support for Latinos.
Plenary 2: Strengthening Our Community Through Critical Engagement
- Daniel Nilsson (Facilitator), Director of the Office of Diversity Outreach and Development at Kent State University
- Dr. Elena Foulis, Coordinator of Service-Learning and Heritage Language and Senior Lecturer at the Ohio State University & Commissioner at the Ohio Commission on Hispanic/Latino Affairs
- Victor Leandry, Executive Director of El Centro de Servicios Sociales, Inc.
This session will examine the role of multicultural education in developing community-based learning with local Latina/x/o communities. We focus on issues of equity and social justice as they are explored in the classroom and realized in the day to day interactions in the community. We propose that the benefits of such interactions and collaborations are pivotal for leadership development because we emphasize the role of trust, reciprocity and mutual respect as essential to the success of students and community engagement programs. We will discuss closely how to look at the ways in which building networks and partnerships in the local community produces scholarly knowledge and meets community needs.