Web Editor Reference Guide
The Web Editor Quick Reference Google document is a printable overview of information web editors should be familiar with.
Quick Text Tips
The list below contains the correct format for the most common mistakes.
- One word:
- email (no hyphen)
- All lowercase - effective June 1, 2016
- Kent State email address (not University email address, KSU email address, Kent email address, FlashLine address)
- Advisor – use the -or ending, not –er
- Ampersand (&) — university style uses “and,” not an ampersand unless an ampersand is part of the proper name of a nonuniversity entity or if it is being used as a navigation or design element in the website
- Phone number treatment: xxx-xxx-xxxx (use hyphens, not parentheses). Note: You can use Siteimprove to locate phone numbers on your site.
- Time treatment
- 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- 8:15 a.m. – noon
- noon is not capitalized
- Date/month treatment
- January 2010 (not abbreviated without a date)
- Jan. 15, Feb. 21, March, April, May, June, July, Aug. 22, Sept. 23, Oct. 31, Nov. 11, Dec. 12 (abbreviated with a date)
- Guidelines around KSU
- When referring to the university, avoid KSU. Spell out Kent State University in first reference, and then use Kent State or university in subsequent references.
- When university is used alone to mean Kent State University, it is in lowercase.
- Use "and" — avoid & (ampersand) — in names of Kent State programs, offices, departments, schools, colleges and divisions.
- On first reference, full department names are written out in entirety and capitalized (i.e., University Relations and Development). On second reference, it may be shortened and lowercased (i.e., development).
- Treatment of Kent State terminology and Spelling/Case
- catalog (not graduate catalog, undergraduate catalog)
- eight-campus system NOT network
- Kent State ID number (not Banner ID)
- FlashLine user name (not FlashLine ID, user name, email ID, user ID)
- FLASHcard (not FlashCard, Flashcard, FlashCARD)
- FlashLine (not Flashline or Flash Line)
- Kent Core (not LER)
- See You @ College
- Student Green
- Preview KSU!
Statistics — some require annual updates
The Facts & Figures page displays several points of pride. It is audited and updated annually at the beginning of the fall semester. All changes will be made before Oct. 1. Mark you calendar to update any references on your site.
Leadership, Department Name and Location Changes
Read press releases that contain information that may need updated on your website. Mark your calendar to make the change within a week of the change.
Division administrators should review the University Leadership site every semester to confirm the information is up-to-date.
If a department name or location changes please notify Web Team by submitting the Website Name Change Request Form.
|School of Peace and Conflict Studies||Center for Applied Conflict Management|
|Office of University Events and Protocol||Office of University Ceremonies|
|Finance and Administration||Business and Finance|
|School of Information||School of Library and Information Sciences|
|Counselor Education and Supervision||Counseling and Human Services|
|LaunchNET Kent State University||Blackstone LaunchPad|
|Office of Articulated Credit and Alternative Agreements||Dual Enrollment|
|Fraternity and Sorority Life||Greek Life|
|Institutional Research||Research, Planning and Institutional Effectiveness|
|Center for Teaching and Learning||Faculty Professional Development Center|
|University College||Division of Undergraduate Studies|
|Department of Psychological Sciences||Department of Psychology|
|Westfield Insurance Campus Tour Center||Campus Tour Center|
|Office of the General Counsel||University Counsel|
|Center for Adult and Veteran Services||Adult Services|
|Office of Student Conduct||Judicial Affairs|
|Office of Corporate and Community Support||Center for Corporate and Professional Development|
|Women's Center||Women's Resource Center|
|University Facilities Management||Office of Campus Environment and Operations|
|Office of Global Education||Office of International Affairs|
|College of Aeronautics and Applied Engineering||College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology|
|Center for the Performing Arts||Music and Speech Center|
|Ritchie Hall||Oscar Ritchie Hall||(One-name policy for named halls)|
|Schwartz Center||Michael Schwartz Center||(One-name policy for named halls)|
|McGilvrey Hall||(Frequently misspelled)|
|MACC Annex||Gym Annex|
|University Library||Main Library or Library||(For the name of the building)|
|MAC Center||MACC or M.A.C.C.|
|Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC)||SWRC||(No acronyms)|
|University Auditorium in Cartwright Hall||Cartwright Auditorium|