Web Image Tools
Photoshop isn't the only program that edits images. There are many free options for users of all degrees of tech savvy.
- Pixlr presents a full featured photo editor direct in your browser, no download, no wait and 100% free. If you are used to working with Gimp, Paint shop pro or even Photoshop you will feel right at home with this online image editor. It contains lots of the features that you normally see in desktop applications but just one click away. Jump in and start using this tool, no registration required and loads in matter of seconds. The editor is capable of open PSD files and paste from your clipboard!
Directions for the most common image edits are below:
- To reduce the quality (file size and load time) of your photo: Open your photo in Pixlr Editor and go to File > Save. Set the quality to 80% (Good for most photos)
- To reduce the dimensions (pixel size) of your photo: Open your photo in Pixlr Editor and go to Image > Image Size. Type in a pixel width or height. The photo will resize proportionally. Go to File > Save to save your photo to your computer.
- To crop your photo to specific dimensions (for use in the body field of a page, sidebar, etc.): Open your photo in Pixlr editor and click the Crop tool (in the Tools bar on the left). At the top under Constraint, choose Output size. In the Width and Height boxes, enter the specific pixel dimensions to which you'd like to crop. Finally, drag a box inside your photo to the area you'd like to crop to. Anything outside of the box will be cropped out. Press Enter to complete the crop. Go to File > Save to save your photo to your computer.
More detailed directions are available in the Images for the Web Workshop. The Web Images Workshop reviews best practices for using images on the Kent State website. The workshop is a hands-on approach to resizing, cropping and saving images for the web using Pixlr.
- GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc. GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
- With Microsoft Office Picture Manager you can manage, edit, share, and view your pictures from where you store them on your computer. The Locate Pictures feature helps you find your pictures with powerful search, and when you find them, Picture Manager can correct your pictures, if needed. Use the picture editing tools to crop, expand, or copy and paste. Sharing pictures is easier with Picture Manager: send pictures in e-mail messages or create a picture library on your corporate intranet.
- Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plug-ins.