Advising- FAQs | Kent State University

Advising- FAQs

Below you will find a list of common questions our advising office gets from students.

If you are unable to find the answer to your question, please select the "Contact Us" icon

Who do I talk to about my application for graduate school?

Room 418 White Hall, Graduate Services Office or their website can assist you.

I am trying to register for a class but the computer says prerequisite required/major restriction/etc.

Go to the department that is in charge of the class (e.g. math classes (Math dept.), health ed. Class (ACHVE dept.), ED. Tech/Ed. Psych/Dem. Soc. (EFSS-405).

When should I apply for graduation?
  • May graduation - online application is due September 15
  • August graduation - online application is due December 15
  • December graduation - online application is due March 15
Can I have a copy of my advising/requirement sheet/Roadmap?

A copy from your student file can be given to you. If there is no file or the you want a different major, you will be asked for your catalog year.

I have questions about/hard time reading my GPS Audit or KAPS report.

You can discuss this with an advisor during your next advising appointment.

Who is my professional and faculty advisor?

Look up your advisor by logging into your FlashLine account then click on Student Tools - your advisor is assigned based on your program area (major).

How often should I see an advisor?

A full hour initial appointment is required. Thereafter, a 30 minute appointment once per semester is required for Freshmen and Sophomores and once per year for Juniors and Seniors.

How do I schedule an advising appointment?

Click on the "Schedule an Advising Appointment" link on the right side of  home page or click here to get to the online scheduling system.

Role of Advisors

Role of Professional Academic Advisor

  • Work with students on creating their academic plan and setting goals
  • Assist students in interpreting academic policies and procedures
  • Help students as they select courses and progress toward graduation
  • Teach students about the resources and technology available

Role of Faculty Advisor

  • Offer expertise in subject matter
  • Providing mentoring in internship/career development

your role as a student in the advising partnership

  • Set realistic goals and action steps each semester that align with your academic plan
  • Be actively engaged in advising appointments each semester
  • Learn about your program, policies, procedures
  • Utilize the tools and resources to assist with academic planning
  • Follow though with deadlines and referrals
  • Come to advising appointments prepared with a list of courses selected

Whether you are a new transfer student to KSU or you are a current KSU student and planning on taking courses as a transient student at another institution and transferring the credits to KSU, you can find out how your courses will transfer to KSU.

Find more information by visiting the Transfer Center web site, which can be found here:

  1. Click "Transfer Credit Guide" which will take you to Kent State University’s Transfer Articulation Guide.
  2. Select either Domestic Schools (in the U.S.) or International Schools (non-U.S.) and then click on Submit.
  3. Select the State where you want to take the course and then click on Submit.
  4. Pick the School where you want to take the course from the drop-down and then click on Submit.
  5. Pick the Term when you took the class (choose the most recent term if you plan to take it in a future term) then click on Submit.
  6. Pick the Subject for the course for the other school then click on Submit.
  7. Scroll down - now you have an equivalency guide that shows the other school's courses on the left and then what they are equivalent to at KSU on the right.

* Please note: If you are taking courses as a transient student, you must be in good academic standing (cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above) at Kent State University to be approved for transient work.