Distribution of Faculty Professional Travel Funds
The Faculty Professional Travel Budget allocation will be distributed between two accounts, Fund A and Fund B. Each member of the UL faculty will receive an allocation from Fund A proportional to his/her contract status (full-time or part-time). A tenure-track or tenured member of the UL faculty can apply for funding through the Fund B allocation once his/her Fund A allocation is depleted. Members of the UL faculty holding term appointments are not eligible for travel funding from the Fund B allocation until May 1, and then only under special circumstances as described below.
1) Fund A will make up 60 percent of the total Faculty Professional Travel Budget and will be allocated proportionately among the UL faculty. Each member of the UL faculty will be notified by July 31 of the amount allocated for him/her to spend in Fund A for travel expenses at his/her discretion.
2) Fund B will make up the remaining 40 percent of the Faculty Professional Travel Budget. The FPTC will recommend funding for individual travel requests out of Fund B based on the tenure status of the traveler and his/her reason for traveling.
Funding recommendations from Fund B will be made according to the following priorities:
1) Untenured tenure-track faculty presenting, conducting research, or serving as a member of a committee
2) Tenured faculty presenting, conducting research, or serving as a member of a committee
3) Untenured tenure-track faculty attending a conference, workshop, or educational program
4) Tenured faculty attending a conference, workshop, or educational program
Under no circumstances will an individual be awarded out of Fund B more than 25 percent of the original total amount of money in that fund in a single year.
Any funding not encumbered in Fund A by May 1 will revert automatically to Fund B. Funding requests for travel taking place after May 1 can be funded through an individual's Fund A allocation if received by April 30. Tenure-track and tenured faculty members continue to be eligible for funding from Fund B even after their allocation from Fund A reverts to Fund B. Under special circumstances (i.e., late invitation to present, late conference announcement), requests from term faculty for funding through Fund B will be considered after May 1. In these instances the amount awarded will not exceed the remainder of the individual's Fund A allocation.