The Chairperson is a full-time faculty member and is the administrative officer of the Department and, thus, is directly accountable to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The Chairperson is charged with bringing the vision of the department and its faculty forward, through support of effective implementation of policy and programming. The Chairperson is responsible for assuring the recording, maintaining and implementing the department’s aims and objectives and the policies and procedures contained in the department Handbook. He or she is also responsible for insuring that such policies, objectives and procedures are in conformity with the University Policy Register and the Collective Bargaining Agreements. The Chairperson shall be an ex-officio non-voting member of the Faculty Advisory Committee (FAC), and as such shall be charged with the responsibility and authority to represent the Department in Collegial and University matters. The Chairperson is also expected to be cognizant of and receptive to the advice of the available Department faculty before making decisions and/or recommendations to a higher academic officer.
In addition to the University Job description for Chairperson, Academic Department, the duties and responsibilities of the Chair include:
- Teaches three semester credit hours per academic year. The Chair may supervise the African American Affairs Practicum and/or coordinates all Individual Investigation faculty assignments;
- Works closely with the Directors of the Institute for African American Affairs, the Center of Pan-African Culture, Communication Skills and Arts to assure a full scope of holistic academic and cultural programming.
- Enforces University regulations;
- Encourages and supports faculty in pursuing their pedagogical goals;
- With appropriate consultation, develops and carries out administrative and educational policies in the Department;
- Recommends new staff appointments to the Dean and recommends the promotion and/or tenure of members of the Department who are eligible and qualified;
- Recommends, with documentation, the severance of individuals deemed not worthy of permanent appointment;
- Hires and directs the non-academic staff of the Department;
- Recommends leaves of absence;
- Supplies prompt notification to the offices of the Dean of faculty absenteeism or faculty and staff resignations;
- Recommends course changes proposed by DPAS/FAC’s curriculum committee or through the appropriate Dean;
- Distributes teaching assignments, schedules class hours and rooms, and prepares and submits reports to appropriate University officials;
- Maintains custody of University property charged to the Department;
- Maintains effective work relationships with PAS faculty assigned to any of the Regional Campuses;