Information for Applicants
Application Instructions and Information
The deadline for priority consideration is January 31st. We will make decisions on a rolling basis thereafter. Admitted candidates must begin their plan of study in the fall semester.
An application must have each of the following in order to be considered:
- A statement of purpose/intent
- Official academic transcripts from all schools with 8 semester hours or more
- GRE scores
- A writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- For international applicants: Proof of English proficiency.
Letters of recommendation can be submitted
- emailed to email@example.com, OR
- electronically through the KSU Graduate Studies web site, OR
- mailed directly to our Graduate Studies office:
To begin the process of applying to the MA or PhD programs, domestic students should visit the Graduate Studies application page. International students should begin the process on the International Graduate Application page.
Eligibility Criteria and Information
- Applicants should have a 3.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- In order to be considered for admission you must take the GRE. Applicants should have a combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of above 300. GRE scores may be submitted after the application deadline, however the application will not be considered until complete.
- We do not require a specific undergraduate major for application.
- Although not a prerequisite, many of our students have some graduate-level experience. Applicants with graduate degrees are welcome.
- For international applications, we do require proof of English proficiency unless (1) you have received a degree from an accredited U.S. university or (2) you are citizen of one of the countries that is exempt from the requirement. Please consult the Office of Global Education website for information on English proficiency exams and admission to Kent State University.
- You do not need to select an advisor when applying to the program. You may, however, indicate faculty with whom you wish to work in your statement of purpose/intent. Accepted students will be assigned to an advisor based on research interests. Students are able to change their advisor at any time.