Any website master or business owner realizes that content is king. This has been a mantra in website development for decades. As a result all Kent State websites must include and/or adhere to these nine content-oriented standards.
Required Content for Academic Areas
To support recruitment and retention, it is required that Kent State University’s academic units include standard call-to-action items on their websites in the required order.
The dimensions required are 500 x 750 pixels; files must be less than 1MB; allowed file types include png, gif, jpg, and jpeg. You can find many headshots in the Kent State photo archive.
Qualtrics is recommended for gathering information collected from users. Qualtrics is perfect for creating polls and surveys where statistical results are desired. Applying logic to your survey questions is also available. The ability to track participants and distribute anonymously are additional features of Qualtrics.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tips
- All individuals who are responsible for preparing copy for electronic communications will want to purchase copies of the Associated Press Stylebook and Webster’s New World College Dictionary for handy reference.
- The AP Stylebook is organized alphabetically by general category. For example, for a question about whether “B.A.” requires periods or “bachelor’s degree” needs an apostrophe, look under the entry academic degrees. Style questions regarding numbers are answered under the entry “numbers.” The stylebook has specialized sections for “Sports Guidelines and Style,” “Business Guidelines and Style” and a “Guide to Punctuation.” If a style question is not addressed in the university style guide, then consult the AP Stylebook.
- If an answer is not found, call University Communications and Marketing at 330-672-2727 and ask to speak with an editor, or post a question by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Web Editor Reference Guide
- Website owners must conduct an annual review of their website to ensure information is current and without misspellings, grammatical or style errors. Inaccurate information diminishes a website’s credibility.
- University Communications and Marketing offers web-based software called Siteimprove to help university website owners repair broken hyperlinks and fix misspellings. Contact the Web Team for more information.
Video Slot Specifications
FilterKent State blue solid with 50 percent opacity, blending mode with a hard/soft light or overlay.
Length30 seconds (three 10 second shots)
Resolution1400 x 788 (16:19)
Bitrate1 mbps (2 pass VBR).
File formath.264 mp4
The video background image still (displayed on mobile) should be sized to 3840 pixels x 2160 pixels and uploaded using the homepage video content type.
- General Copyright Policy
- Administrative Copyright Policy
- Copyright-Protected Works
- Web-Publishing Policy
Information Graphics Library
Information Graphics are used throughout Kent State websites to call out points of pride and facts about the university or specific university programs. Graphics are hyperlinked to areas of the website with more information about that fact.
Writing for the Web
- Professionalism writing for the Web
- Write for the Web
- Siteimprove for QA tools
- Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation
- Link/Content Review
- Security and Privacy
- Explore these content areas further