Welcome to Career Services at Kent State Ashtabula
Career Exploration and Development
We envision a college community where students excitedly explore and confidently pursue careers after wisely choosing their majors. In so doing, graduates will master their job search and land a job they love. Get career advice and tips from experts or participate in online mock interviews to prepare for your job search!
Meet with a Career Counselor to Plan Your Future
Kent State Ashtabula is committed to supporting students in all aspects of the career development process. The Career Services office can assist students with the following:
- Graduate Studies, Major and Career Exploration
- Resume/Cover Letter Development
- Interview Preparation and Practice
- Career Search Assistance and Guidance
- Job and Internship Opportunities
- Employer Connections
HANDSHAKE is our online platform to connect current students and Alumni to find internships and jobs. There are also many virtual events on HandShake. Students and Alumni can experience an opportunity to network with other students using HANDSHAKE across the nation. Read reviews on employers. You can set up personal account here. Meet with a Career Counselor to Discuss Your Career Path Appointments can be made with Irene Skleres by calling 440-964-4217
Attention outside employers:
Are you or your company interested in recruiting candidates from the Ashtabula or Kent campuses?
- Email your job/internship posting (or questions) to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your opportunity listed at Kent State University's HANDSHAKE job board.
- For information specific to Kent State Ashtabula campus recruiting events and opportunities, please contact Mary Collins at email@example.com.
Resources for Getting Started
- America's Career Info Net One Stop: Accessible information on occupational descriptions, education, job outlook, and salary.
Kent State University Career Resources
The FOCUS 2 Assessment: This assessment helps you take a closer look at your skills, interests, and values. Once you complete the assessment, meet with a career advisor to review your results or review the information below on your own.
- What can I do with this major? Kent State's guide to help match majors to careers.
- Explore Kent State University Majors and Degrees
- Explore Kent State University Majors and Degrees at Ashtabula
- Resumes and Letters
Job Search Information
- OhioMeansJobs: Search engine for jobs in the State of Ohio
- Ohio Top Jobs list
- Growth Partnership for Ashtabula County Local Job Search engine
- Cleveland Plain Dealer: Regional Job Search Engine
- Job Search Strategies
- Job Search Videos & additional career tips
Other Useful Information
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Learn about occupations including responsibilities, salaries, education required, and employment outlook
- Career One Stop: Explore careers, salary and benefits, training required, and employment seeker services by state
- O*Net: Quick search tool for Ohio employment data and more
- Ohio In-Demand Careers: Learn about growing fields in the state of Ohio
- Virtual Mock Interview
Talk with faculty, family and professionals
- Find out what a career is really like by speaking to someone in the field.
- Review the informational interviewing questions to ask and the list of possible people in your network to speak with.
- Talk with your professors who have a wealth of knowledge about their career fields.
- Chat with family members about their work experiences:
- How they selected their careers
- What they find rewarding/challenging
- What skills they utilize
- What their long-term goals are
Coordinator, Academic/Career & Student Accessibility Services