Dr. Mark Dalman currently holds a joint appointment with the Kent State University College of Public Health and the Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine (KSUCPM) as an Assistant Professor. Dr. Dalman earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Zoology as well as Environmental Science from Miami University of Ohio. Later, he relocated to the University of Akron, completing a Masters of Environmental Science, and a Ph.D. in Integrative Bioscience. In 2014 he began work on his Postdoc at Kent State University in the field of Molecular Epidemiology. Before his affiliation with KSUCPM in 2016, Dr. Dalman held various appointments beginning in 2001 in the fields of Environmental Science, Anatomy and Physiology, Biology, Microbiology and Integrative Bioscience.
Throughout his career and education, Dr. Dalman has authored and co-authored 8 publications and eleven manuscripts, as well as various conference posters. He also has mentored, and continues to mentor, an impressive list of high school, undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D. and Postdoc students.
Dr. Dalman has earned several awards and nominations:
- 2015 - Nominated for "Best 18 of last 9" at Miami University
- 2013 - University of Akron LIFE Doctoral Scholar Award
- 2013 & 2010 - Ohio Bioinformatics Scholarship Grant (competitive)
- 2013 & 2012 - Nominated as one of four "Excellent Graduate Student Teachers" at the University of Akron
- 2012 & 2010 - STEM Tiered Mentoring Choose Ohio First Grant (competitive)
- 2008 - Conference on Undergraduate and Graduate Student Research. Oral Session Winner
- 2008 - Geology Research Grant at University of Akron (competitive)
- 2008 - Gerace Research Centre Grant, San Salvador Island (competitive)
- 2002 - Undergraduate Summer Scholars Grant Award (competitive)
- 2002 - Kaplan Test Preparatory. Invented method for PAT test in the DAT. Incorporated into textbooks
And serves on the following committees:
- 2009-Present - American Physiological Society
- 2009-Present - International Society for Computational Biology
- 2013-Present - Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution
- 2013-Present - American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 2010-Present - Serves as a respected science fair judge, speaker, and faculty interviewer at various Universities and Community events.
Dr. Dalman retains a teaching philosophy that science teaching is indispensable to the scientific process, involving dynamic interactions between the mentor and student and also in larger lecture settings, approaching th class as a family unit.