Equity & Inclusion Statement
We all come from different walks of life. The Vacca Office of Student Services places value and importance on equity and inclusion, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes us all a united educational community. As a student, you have a home with the Vacca Office of Student Services. Below we share our values with you.
Vacca Office of Student Services (VOSS) Statement of Value to Our Students:
We value your social identities including race, ethnicity, (dis)ability, age, sex, sexual identity, gender identity and expression, religious beliefs/backgrounds, socioeconomic status, among others. We strive to provide equitable experiences for all of you who have been marginalized and/or underserved and use our power to dismantle discrimination and disparity across our programs. We will engage in collective action to address individual and systematic oppression within our local, national, and global communities. We pledge that we will continue to act until all of you experience our office as a place that fosters diversity, equity, and inclusion for all.
The Vacca Office of Student Services will strive to show our commitment to antiracist and equitable and just practices through the following action items:
Action items in progress:
- Established an Equity & Inclusion Committee to critically review existing policies, practices, and procedures within the office, college, and university to be more inclusive and equitable for all students with whom we work.
- Established a Professional Development Committee that will engage the office in professional development that will guide us to examine our own unconscious biases and educate us about social justice and equity issues.
- Continue work with the office of Diversity, Outreach, and Development (DOD) to improve recruitment and retention of students of color and other underrepresented populations.
Immediate action items:
- Conduct an audit of all messaging (emails, letters, website) from the Vacca office for inclusive and bias free language.
- Create and support leadership opportunities for underrepresented students.
- Identify academic barriers at the university that may prevent student success.
- Collaborate with the division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), the Women’s Center, the Student Multicultural Center, the LGTBQ+ Center, and other organizations on campus to address the climate issues for black and brown students at KSU.