A focus on enhancing ensemble playing, musical artistry and technical mastery.
Offering pre-formed string quartets the opportunity for intensive graduate study (M.M.) of some of the greatest music ever written.
|Jung-Min Amy Lee, violin||Eunho Kim, violin and viola|
|Joanna Patterson Zakany, viola||Si-Yan Darren Li, cello|
Lessons, Coaching & Rehearsal
- Receive weekly individual lessons on your applied instrument from a master artist-teacher.
- Coach as an ensemble weekly to prepare for recitals, concerts and competitions.
- A schedule that allows for extensive rehearsal and practice time.
- Study with members of The Cleveland Orchestra, Verve Chamber Players, CityMusic Cleveland and more.
You’ll have the chance to perform often individually, as a member of your quartet and in the Kent State University Orchestra.
- Perform on the Kent Campus in studio classes, recitals, concerts and special events held throughout the academic year.
- Outreach and education concerts are an integral part of a career a professional chamber musician. You’ll perform off-campus in school concerts and education programs as well as on local concert series offered by Tuesday Musical of Akron, Music From the Western Reserve, Friends of Chamber Music and more.
- The Kent State University Orchestra offers up to ten performances a year, presenting a diverse repertory spanning then centuries. They also frequently collaborate with Kent State Opera Theatre and the KSU Choirs to present large masterworks.
- Many graduate string students have performed with the regions many regional, paid orchestras, including the Akron Symphony, Canton Symphony, Youngstown Symphony and more.
- During the summer months, quartets also often spend five weeks in residence at the Kent Blossom Music Festival—our now 53-year advance training institute run in partnership with The Cleveland Orchestra.
Alumni Success Stories
- Euclid Quartet, now in residence at IU-South Bend
- Hausmann Quartet, now in residence at UC San Diego
- Hyperion Quartet, now in residence at College of Saint Rose (Albany, NY)
- La Catrina Quartet, now in residence at Eastern New Mexico State University
- Telegraph Quartet (Eric Chen is a founding member), now based in San Francisco
Degrees and Programs Offered
|M.M. in Performance, Chamber Music Concentration (String Quartet)|
Questions or Want More Information?
Glauser School Admissions
email@example.com | 330-672-2172
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission.
- 3.0 GPA out of a 4.0 scale for unconditional admission.
- Official transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of career goals
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 525 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 71 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 74 MELAB score
- Minimum 6.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 50 PTE score
- Minimum 100 Duolingo test score
- Violin: Two contrasting movements from an unaccompanied Bach Sonata or Partita and the first movement from a standard concerto.
- Viola: Two contrasting movements from a Bach suite and the first movement from a standard concerto.
- Cello: Two contrasting movements from a Bach suite and the first movement from a standard concerto.
- Bass: One movement of a Bach Cello Suite. Two contrasting movements of a concerto or other significant solo work. Orchestral Excerpts: Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 3rd movement, and Mozart Symphony No. 40, 4th movement, mm. 49-70 or applicant’s choice. Scales with varied bow articulations (staccato, legato, detache, marcato).
Graduate String Quartet
- Two complete works of contrasting styles, demonstrating the quartet’s overall playing level.
- Following a live audition, there will be a coaching session with the faculty Artists-in-Residence.
- For audition recordings, a recording of two complete works of contrasting styles. A video recording is preferred.