Office of the University Architect personnel ensure the orderly and economical development and alteration of Kent State University facilities according to sound architectural and engineering practices in keeping with the regulatory and procedural requirements of the university, state, and other governing agencies. These responsibilities are primarily driven by capital planning and construction appropriations and also by locally-funded improvements and renovations to the physical facilities.

Facility master planning and space planning services, in-house architectural and engineering design, and construction management are provided by the university architect's office. In addition, the office manages the competitive selection of associates (architects, engineers, construction managers, and design-builders for projects) and negotiates contracts and amendments for those services. During the life of a project, the office is responsible for preparing construction documents and bid announcements, conducting construction bid openings, awarding contracts, monitoring contractor performance and compliance with contract provisions, conducting field observations, managing construction activities, reviewing and approving payments to associates and contractors, collecting payroll data related to prevailing wage regulations, participating in dispute resolution, and overseeing final commissioning of projects.

Requests for Changes

Inquiries or requests related to the change of the physical environment at Kent State University shall be directed to the Office of the University Architect. The following are considered changes to the physical environment: 

  • Additions, renovations or subdivisions of existing buildings;
  • Changes to exterior site development including roads, parking areas, gardens and walks;
  • Major furniture installations or reconfiguration which may affect exit routes or access for the disabled;
  • Changes in utility requirements including lighting, power, data communications, heating, cooling, water or drainage;
  • Major equipment purchases which may require changes in utilities;
  • Signage; and
  • Contracting of services for any of the above.

Initial contact with the Office of the University Architect should include the location and a brief description of the proposed changes. If the Office of the University Architect determines that the proposed change is major, a written description may be required. If determinable at the time of initial contact, the source of funds should be identified. The scope of each request shall determine the processes required for implementation.

Initiate a SPACE Request via email ( to when requesting a change to a space or facility. A SPACE Request must be completed whenever the space assignment involves new space (temporary or permanent), the space involved is currently assigned to more than one college or VP area, the proposed space will involve occupancy by more than one college or VP area, or is a classroom, lecture hall, seminar space or laboratory.

Get Directions to our office