Building Security and Crime Prevention
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
The Department of Public Safety and Police Services are located in the Stockdale Safety Building. Public Safety provides:
• Police Services provides 24-hour patrols and protection.
• Officers patrol campus on foot, bicycles and vehicles.
• Campus security and courtesy phones are available in all buildings and parking lots.
• Residential security aides provide escort service to and from campus buildings.
• Numerous safety, awareness and risk reduction programs are offered on campus.
• Parking lots are patrolled and restricted to permit holders with designated visitor areas.
• Campus-wide motorist assistance is available.
COMMUNITY POLICE OFFICERS
Every facility has a police officer assigned to it as a nonemergency contact person. Community police officer assignments are listed at: https://www.kent.edu/publicsafety/community-policing.
ALARM SYSTEMS AND SURVEILLANCE CAMERA SYSTEMS
Public Safety has established requirements for different types of electronic systems used for public safety purposes. All alarm systems and surveillance camera systems are coordinated through the Department of Public Safety.
Refer to University Policy Chapter 5-12.17: Administrative policy regarding video surveillance and electronic systems for safety and security
Each facility on campus should have a completed and current emergency response plan that is on file with Public Safety. Emergency response plan templates and other emergency plans can be found at: https://www.kent.edu/publicsafety/division-emergency-management.
LOCKING BUILDINGS LIST
Police Services staff locks and unlocks academic buildings Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday morning. Building Curators can contact the Records Section at: PD_records1@kent.edu to schedule the opening(s) and closing(s) of their building.