Building Security and Crime Prevention
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
The Department of Public Safety and Police Services are located in the Stockdale Safety Building.
Public Safety provides:
• Police Services provides 24-hour patrols and protection.
• Officers patrol campus on foot, bicycles and vehicles.
• Campus security and courtesy phones are available in all buildings and parking lots.
• Residential security aides provide escort service to and from campus buildings.
• Numerous safety, awareness and risk reduction programs are offered on campus.
• Parking lots are patrolled and restricted to permit holders with designated visitor areas.
• Campus-wide motorist assistance is available.
BUILDING SECURITY AND CRIME PREVENTION
University policies concerning building hours and after-hours use were established, among other reasons, to enhance the ability of the Building Curator in addressing the physical security of facilities under their control. Several other tools are available to assist the Building Curator in protecting a facility from crime:
Kent State University Police Services employs personnel qualified to conduct a security analysis of campus facilities. Upon request, an officer will analyze a facility or component part for existing physical and/or procedural security risks. This process includes the following steps:
• Crime analysis;
• Demographic studies;
• Site observation; and
• User interviews.
Based upon the analysis, a written recommendation will be provided including suggestions on procedural, technological and physical modifications intended to reduce or remove the risk of criminal activity. There is no charge for this service.
In some cases, an alarm system may be desired or recommended. University Police Services has established requirements for the installation of detection alarms to ensure the quality and consistency of their application. Alarms installed without approval by the university police may not be routed directly into the alarm system monitored by Police Services dispatchers.
CRIME PREVENTION PROGRAMS
The Department of Public Safety also provides various programs and presentations on requested topics to assist in security and crime prevention efforts.