Office of the University Architect

PHONE: 330-672-3880
FAX: 330-672-2648

The Office of the University Architect assures the orderly and economical development and alteration of facilities according to sound architectural and engineering practices in keeping with the regulatory and procedural requirements of the university, state, and other governing agencies. These responsibilities are primarily driven by capital planning and construction appropriations and secondly, by locally-funded improvements and renovations to the physical facilities.

Refer to University Policy Chapter 7-04: University policy regarding the authorization and award of capital construction projects

Inquiries or requests related to the change of the physical environment at Kent State University shall be directed to the Office of the University Architect.

The following are considered changes to the physical environment:

• Additions, renovations or subdivisions of existing buildings;

• Changes to exterior site development including roads, parking areas, gardens and walks;

• Major furniture installations or reconfiguration which may affect exit routes or access for the disabled;

• Changes in utility requirements including lighting, power, data communications, heating, cooling, water or drainage;

• Major equipment purchases which may require changes in utilities;

• Signage; and

• Contracting of services for any of the above.

Initial contact with the Office of the University Architect should include the location and a brief description of the proposed changes. If the Office of the University Architect determines that the proposed change is major, a written description may be required. If determinable at the time of initial contact, the source of funds should be identified. The scope of each request shall determine the processes required for implementation.

Initiate a SPACE Request via FlashTrack when requesting a change to a space or facility. A SPACE Request must be completed whenever the space assignment involves new space (temporary or permanent), the space involved is currently assigned to more than one college or VP area, the proposed space will involve occupancy by more than one college or VP area, or is a classroom, lecture hall, seminar space or laboratory.

Refer to University Policy Chapter 5- 2.1: Administrative policy regarding space and space programming

The Building Curator is responsible for identifying the specific purpose of bulletin boards under their purview whether it is for general information or specific departmental use. Postings are not permitted on woodwork, doors, windows, walls or bulletin board frames. Posters in these locations should be removed.

Refer to University Policy Chapter 4-03.3: Administrative policy regarding posting handbills, and sound amplification equipment
Chapter 4-03.301: Operational procedures and regulations regarding posting