It is time to start planning for the 2021-2022 recruiting season! The process moves quickly and you want to make sure you are well prepared to increase your chances of obtaining an internship. Meet the Accountants Night will be held virtually on Thursday, September 16, 2021 from 5 – 8 p.m. Register now!
If you have obtained an internship and wish to receive accounting academic credit, here is how you go about the process.
The Accounting Internship Program is open to:
- Junior and Senior declared accounting majors and Master of Business Administration students.
- Students with an overall GPA of 3.0 and a 3.0 in all ACCT courses. The 3.0 GPA in all ACCT courses includes all attempts and ACCT 23020 and 23021 (the GPA requirements are measured at the end of the semester PRIOR to the start of your internship).
- The prerequisite to ACCT 43092 is ACCT 33001 or ACCT 33004, with a minimum grade of C.
You may take the internship for credit. It is worth 3 academic credits (grade base is S/U). Students are required to register for ACCT 43092 (undergraduate) if they want to receive academic credit (after approval is received to register for the course). Only one internship experience is allowed for academic credit in the accounting degree program.
All Academic Credit Internship:
- Must be at least 300 hours
- Assignments performed are accounting related
- Typically, your current full-time or part-time position with an employer does not qualify for accounting academic credit. However, if you current employer is willing to let you perform different accounting related duties/responsibilities, then it can be considered for accounting academic credit
- The majority of the internships are in the spring semester; however, there are some that are in the summer and also the fall semester
Even though you may not qualify for Accounting academic credit due to not meeting the GPA requirements and/or not having the required course work, you may qualify for general business academic credit. Therefore, it is recommended you complete the internship form.
Please contact the departments that issued you any scholarships or financial aid to determine the impact if you do not register for classes during your internship.
If you are working full time during your internship, it is recommended that you do not take any classes so you can devote the necessary time to your internship and be successful. If it necessary due to scholarships or financial aid reasons, it is recommended you register for the internship course and take an online non-major elective.
An Internship Form must be completed and approved in a timely manner. It should be completed once you receive an internship and you want to obtain academic credit for your internship. A student cannot register for the internship course without this approval. This form does not need to be completed if you do not want to obtain academic credit for your internship.
This form is first submitted to the Career Services Office. Upon approval, it will be forwarded to Dr. Sellers for his review and final determination of approval. He will e-mail you if the internship has been approved or not approved.
Please note that academic credit cannot be granted for an internship that you did in the past. Applications are typically required to be completed by the end of the semester prior to the start of your internship in the following semester. There may be special circumstances and exceptions. No applications will be accepted after the first week of the semester or summer term.
Deadline for applications:
Fall Semester 2021 internships: Friday, August 15, 2021
Spring Semester 2022 internships: Friday, December 12, 2021
Summer Semester 2022 internships: Tuesday, May 8, 2022
- On the form, an offer letter may be substituted for the Supervisor's Form if all of the information on the Supervisor's Form is included in the offer letter. If the offer letter only contains some of the information, then give the Supervisor's Form to the employer for completion and include it in your application materials
- If you do not meet the GPA requirement, you should complete the Internship Form, as you may qualify for general business academic credit.