A successful career grows from strong work experience. We provide the tools and services to help you pursue a meaningful career. Please review the below resources to assist you in becoming a competitive candidate in your internship search and learn how to apply for academic credit for your internship experience.
You have accepted an internship offer and are ready to apply for credit*.
*Internship application must occur AFTER you have accepted an offer, but BEFORE you begin working.
Here you'll find important information you need to know before applying for internship credit; please read this in its entirety.
Accounting StudentsThe Accounting Department has alternative due dates for applying for accounting academic credit.
Fall Semester: Friday, August 21, 2020
Spring Semester: Friday, December 11, 2020
Summer Sessions: Tuesday, May 4, 2021
International StudentsInternational Students on an F-1 Student Visa must have work authorization to legally work in an internship in the United States. At the time of your offer, you must apply for course credit. Please use: STEPS TO APPLY below and then contact the International Programs Office to begin the CPT visa process.
CIS & HR MajorsComputer Information Systems and Human Resources Management Majors are required to complete an internship for credit as part of the degree program.
- Before completing the application, you must have accepted an internship offer
- You should determine, based on student eligibility below, which internship course you are applying for credit. You will have the option to apply for major credit or general elective credit.
- You must complete the Prospective Supervisor Form (.PDF) and be ready to upload it to the application
- You must obtain a copy of your GPS and be ready to upload it to the application.
- You should be prepared to provide the following information:
- A job description, including specific projects you will be working on during the internship
- Planned start and end dates of the internship, the number of hours per week, salary and reporting relationships
- How the internship is expected to enhance your career goals
- Please do not start filling out the application until all forms are completed and prepared for upload
Fall SemesterInternship experiences occurring during the fall semester are available to apply toward fall course credit only. Must apply by fall semester application deadline: Friday, October 9, 2020.
Spring SemesterInternship experiences occurring during the spring semester are available to apply toward spring course credit only. Must apply by spring semester application deadline: Friday, February 19, 2021.
Summer SemesterInternship experiences occurring during the summer semester are available to apply toward summer course credit or deferred to fall course credit. Must apply by the summer application deadline: Friday, July 2, 2021 for summer* or fall** credit.
*If you apply for summer course credit, you will be billed accordingly for summer credits.
**If you defer credit to fall, you still must apply by the summer deadline.
Late ApplicationsApplications received after the stated deadline may be reviewed at the discretion of the academic department.
NOTE: Depending on the dates of your internship, you may need to submit your application earlier. Applications should be submitted before you begin working.
- The Accounting Department has alternative due dates for applying for accounting academic credit.
Course credit is not available if you have already completed your internship experience, as you must be under the supervision of faculty during the experience.
135 Experience Hours135 experience hours are required during the internship after your application is approved and you have self-enrolled in the course if you are an undergraduate seeking credit in:
- Business Management
- General Business
- Managerial Marketing
- Human Resources
- Sales Certificate
300 Experience Hours300 experience hours are required during the internship after your application is approved and you have self-enrolled in the course if you are an Accounting or Master's Student.
In order to receive major credit for your internship:
- You must have at least junior standing (60+ credit hours)
- Meet the course prerequisites
- Be in good academic standing
- Be declared in the major for which credit is sought
Your internship experience must be approved for major credit by your faculty internship coordinator at the time of application.
General elective credit is available to freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors through course BUS 20192 or BUS 40192.
Why apply for general elective credit?
- You do not meet the qualifications for major credit, above
- You only need elective credits to fulfill graduation requirements
- If you are unsure if you need major credits or general elective credits, please contact your academic advisor in the Undergraduate Programs Office to help you determine where an internship course could fit into your graduation plan
- Your internship experience was not approved for major credit, but may be considered for general elective credit
To ensure you qualify academically for the internship, check the course catalog.
- Business Management:
- General Business:
- Computer Information Systems:
- Human Resources:
- Sales Certificate:
- The Career Services Office will intake your application and send it to the appropriate academic department. If your application is incomplete it will be returned to you for completion before being sent to the academic department.
- Your academic department's faculty internship coordinator will review your application for approval. Your experience must meet the standards set by the department and you must academically qualify.
- You will receive an email within 5-7 business days with the department's decision. If approved, you will be given the course's CRN and a special override, and must self-enroll in the course.
At the conclusion of your internship, your supervisor is expected to complete an evaluation of your performance. The Career Services Office will send the online evaluation to your supervisor via email three weeks prior to the end of the semester in which you are completing your internship (if you are completing a summer internship, the evaluation will be sent three weeks prior to the end date listed on your application for credit). You will also be notified via email at this time. The evaluation must be completed before the end of the semester in which you are receiving credit.