Earning Academic Credit For Your Internship
You have accepted an internship offer and are ready to apply for credit*.
*Internship application must occur AFTER you have accepted an offer, but BEFORE you begin working.
Here you'll find important information you need to know before applying for internship credit; please read this in its entirety.
Accounting StudentsThe Accounting Department has alternative due dates for applying for accounting academic credit. Students are required
Fall Semester: Friday, August 15, 2021
Spring Semester: Friday, December 12, 2021
Summer Sessions: Tuesday, May 8, 2022
Accounting or master's students are required to complete 300 experience hours.
International StudentsInternational Students on an F-1 Student Visa must have work authorization to legally work in an internship in the United States. At the time of your offer, you must apply for course credit. Please use: STEPS TO APPLY below and then contact the International Programs Office to begin the CPT visa process. International students are required to complete 135 experience hours.
CIS & HR Majors & Sales CertificateComputer Information Systems and Human Resources Management Majors are required to complete an internship for credit as part of the degree program. Students are required to complete 135 experience hours.
All Other MajorsStudents have the option to take the internship course as a replacement for one of your upper level electives. Check if you are eligible for major credit. Students are required to have 135 experience hours.
In order to receive major credit for your internship:
- You must have at least junior standing (60+ credit hours)
- Meet the course prerequisites
- Be in good academic standing
- Be declared in the major for which credit is sought
Your internship experience must be approved for major credit by your faculty internship coordinator at the time of application.
General elective credit is available to freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors through course BUS 20192 or BUS 40192.
Why apply for general elective credit?
- You do not meet the qualifications for major credit, above
- You only need elective credits to fulfill graduation requirements
- If you are unsure if you need major credits or general elective credits, please contact your academic advisor in the Undergraduate Programs Office to help you determine where an internship course could fit into your graduation plan
- Your internship experience was not approved for major credit, but may be considered for general elective credit
To ensure you qualify academically for the internship, check the course catalog.
- Business Management:
- General Business:
- Computer Information Systems:
- Human Resources:
- Sales Certificate:
DEADLINES TO APPLY FOR INTERNSHIP CREDIT
Fall Semester 2021Internship experiences occurring during the fall semester are available to apply toward fall course credit only. Must apply by fall semester application deadline: Friday, October 8, 2021.
Spring Semester 2022Internship experiences occurring during the spring semester are available to apply toward spring course credit only. Must apply by spring semester application deadline: Friday, February 25, 2022.
Summer Semester 2022Internship experiences occurring during the summer semester are available to apply toward summer course credit or deferred to fall course credit. Must apply by the summer application deadline: Friday, July 8, 2022 for summer* or fall** credit.
*If you apply for summer course credit, you will be billed accordingly for summer credits.
**If you defer credit to fall, you still must apply by the summer deadline.
Late ApplicationsApplications received after the stated deadline may be reviewed at the discretion of the academic department.
NOTE: Depending on the dates of your internship, you may need to submit your application earlier. Applications should be submitted before you begin working.
- The Career Services Office will intake your application and send it to the appropriate academic department. If your application is incomplete it will be returned to you for completion before being sent to the academic department.
- Your academic department's faculty internship coordinator will review your application for approval. Your experience must meet the standards set by the department and you must academically qualify.
- You will receive an email within 5-7 business days with the department's decision. If approved, you will be given the course's CRN and a special override, and must self-enroll in the course.
At the conclusion of your internship, your supervisor is expected to complete an evaluation of your performance. The Career Services Office will send the online evaluation to your supervisor via email three weeks prior to the end of the semester in which you are completing your internship (if you are completing a summer internship, the evaluation will be sent three weeks prior to the end date listed on your application for credit). You will also be notified via email at this time. The evaluation must be completed before the end of the semester in which you are receiving credit.
NOT EARNING ACADEMIC CREDIT FOR YOUR INTERNSHIP?
Securing an in internship is an impressive feat, and even if you are not earning credit, we still want to hear about your experience!