Master of Science in Accounting (Online)
Contact us today to learn more.
Earn Your Master’s in Accounting Online
Note: Beginning in Fall 2021 semester, the Master of Science in Accounting program will be delivered online.
The Master of Science in accounting degree is for students interested in a career in public accounting, auditing, as well as higher-level positions in banking, taxation, insurance or any company with a financial division. More than just debits and credits, the MSA program promotes critical thinking, hands-on application of technology, effective communication skills, and ethical decision making. It prepares future professionals for challenging and rewarding careers.
Graduates pursue careers in auditing, taxation, fraud investigation, law enforcement, investment banking, management and consulting.
The flexible combination of required coursework within our online master’s in accountancy program and electives from a wide variety of business disciplines provides students with a strong foundation in accounting, as well as an understanding of the practical applications of the discipline across all facets of business.
MSA graduates sit for a variety of professional certifications, e.g., CPA, CMA, CISA, CFE and CIA. The Master of Science in Accounting degree provides a great foundation for career advancement and growing your professional network.
Coordinator, Master of Science in Accounting program
M.S. in Accounting Program Flipbook
Online Master’s Degree in Accounting Course Overview
The Online M.S. in Accounting curriculum at Kent State University provides an advanced accounting coursework core and a variety of electives that afford you the opportunity to structure a concentration tailored to your needs.
With our flexible online option, students have the ability to take courses at their own pace from virtually anywhere in the world.
MSA Curriculum Summary
|Core Accounting Courses||12 credit hours|
|Accounting Electives Courses||9 - 12 credit hours|
|Non - accounting Elective Courses||6 - 9 credit hours|
|Total number of credits||30 credit hours|
The accelerated program can be completed in as little as two semesters by students with an undergraduate accounting degree. The M.S. in Accounting program can be completed 100% online or with a mix of online and in-person classes. If you do not have an undergraduate accounting degree, you can complete the M.S. in Accounting in 51 credit hours or less. The program is flexible with students starting in either the fall, spring, or summer semesters. Students attend full time or part time as best fits their specific needs. A Combined Degree option with the KSU Accounting BBA program is available.
Please refer to the most recent academic requirements for admission to the CPA exam issued by the applicable state, e.g., Accountancy Board of Ohio.
Online Accounting Master’s Program Curriculum Structure
Online Master’s in Accountancy Admission
1. ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
Admission to our master’s in accounting online program requires acceptable scores on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), an above-average overall grade point average, an above-average accounting grade point average (if applicable) and may include a personal or telephone interview. We also evaluate each applicant’s communication skills, work experience and recommendations provided by instructors, colleagues and supervisors. Admission decisions are based on a combination of these factors. Some of these are listed below:
- Evidence of scholarly accomplishment as shown by a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Acceptable scores on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), with the exception discussed below. A minimum score of 500 is required for admission. Attaining the 40th percentile or higher on both the GMAT verbal and quantitative scores is also usually required. General information on the GMAT is available on the MBA website. In certain circumstances, we may accept a GRE score in lieu of GMAT scores. GMAT requirement will be waived for recent (within five years) Kent State University undergraduate accounting graduates with a minimum 3.20 major GPA. The GMAT requirement may be similarly waived for non-KSU graduates, subject to approval by the program coordinator.
- A résumé listing previous work experiences and accomplishments. Although not required, work experience is considered favorably in the admissions process.
- Official transcripts from all universities previously attended.
- Two letters of recommendation, used to assess academic or job performance.
- A written response to the essay prompt: “Discuss your objectives and reasons for pursing an advanced degree. Indicate your career plans upon completion of graduate study." This response is used to assess goals and objectives as well as written communication skills.
- A non-refundable application fee ($45 for domestic students, $70 for international students).
- International applicants whose native language is not English are also required to submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Kent State University requires a minimum TOEFL score of 550 for admission to all graduate programs (the computer adaptive test minimum is 213; 79-80 IBT; and 6.0 IELTS). The Department of Accounting normally requires a higher minimum TOEFL score for admission to the MSA program. We consider component scores as well as overall scores. For more information regarding international admissions, please visit the website of the Office of Global Education.
- All applications are accepted online. Start an application.
We consider applications as they become complete and attempt to respond within four weeks.
2. APPLICATION DEADLINES
- Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters: March 1
- Fall semester: July 1
- Spring semester: December 1
- Summer semester: May 1
Applications received after these deadlines will be considered on a space-available basis.
3. FINANCIAL AID OPPORTUNITIES
In your research you will find Kent State offers best-value programs compared with several other universities with Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accreditation, the top credential for business schools.
The cost of the online M.S. in Accounting program depends on the length and number of credit hours of your program. Tuition & Fees information available here.
Merit-based scholarships are available to MSA applicants and students – subject to funds availability.
Loans and grants may be available to graduate students. Visit the KSU Student Financial Aid website for more information.
The Accountancy Board of Ohio and state and national CPA organizations also offer scholarships for students in graduate programs who are preparing for to take the CPA exam as they enter careers in accounting. Visit the following sites for more information:
- Accountancy Board of Ohio: Tuition reimbursement for minority students with financial need
- OSCPA Scholarship ($2,000 each)
- AICPA Scholarships
4. THE BBA/MSA PROGRAM
Opportunities for double counting courses and provisional admission are provided to Kent State University undergraduate accounting students with outstanding records or individuals with exemplary professional credentials. Undergraduate students in or entering their senior year who have completed 105 semester hours and have a 3.2 or higher overall GPA and accounting major GPA (or undergraduate students in their junior year who have completed 90 semester hours with a 3.3 or higher overall GPA and accounting major GPA) may obtain provisional admission to the M.S. in Accounting program.
Five undergraduate courses are available as so-called “slash” courses: ACCT 43009, 43013, 43020, 43033 and 43043. The graduate-level equivalents are: ACCT 53009, 53013, 53020, 53033 and 53043. A student who is provisionally admitted takes the 53000 level courses to count as both BBA and MSA hours toward the respective degrees. A maximum of 9 hours may be counted towards both the BBA and MSA degrees.
Features of Our Online Accounting Master’s Program
Are you interested in taking your career to the next level by pursuing your master’s in accounting? At Kent State University, our online master’s in accountancy gives you the opportunity to earn your degree at your own pace and convenience from virtually anywhere.
Our online M.S. in Accounting is about much more than just debts and credits. The program we offer promotes critical thinking, hands-on application of technology, communication skills and ethical decision making. In addition to experiencing personal and professional growth, our students will enjoy the following features of our online master’s degree in accounting:
- A flexible approach
- Outstanding faculty of leading executives and expert scholars
- Cutting-edge curriculum
- Ability to learn at your convenience
- Preparation for future careers
- Accounting degree not required
- Qualify to take CPA exam and more
- Meet individually with your advisors each semester
- Networking with industry professionals
Launch Your Career with Kent State’s Master’s in Accounting Online
When you choose to enroll in the master’s in accounting online program at Kent State, you are opening the door to many successful and fulfilling career opportunities. Graduates from our program pursue careers in the following:
- Fraud investigation
- Law enforcement
- Investment banking
John Rose, CPA, CFE, CGMA
Coordinator, M.S. Accounting
MBA, Kent State University
Dr. Shunlan Fang, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Temple University
Dr. Rini Laksmana, CPA
Ph.D., Georgia State University
Dr. Wei Li, CPA
Ph.D., Washington State University
Mindy Nett, CPA
MTax, The University of Akron
Dr. Drew Sellers, CMA
E.D.M., Case Western Reserve University
Dr. Wendy Tietz, CPA, CMA, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Kent State University
John Wronkovich, CPA
MBA, Kent State University
Questions about the program? Contact Kent State today and we will be in touch soon. If you’re ready to take your career to the next level, apply to earn your online master’s in accountancy!