Podiatric Pathway: Early Assurance Program
Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine (KSUCPM) has partnered with the College of Arts and Sciences at Kent State University to create a 2 + 2 + 4 program - the Podiatric Pathway. The program is designed for undergraduate students who want to commit to work as Doctor of Podiatric Medicine and have a potential focus in surgery, sports medicine, diabetic care, or biomechanics. Undergraduate students in any degree-granting program at Kent State University will be eligible to apply to the program. The partnership is designed to provide students not only with a rigorous foundation in the natural and social sciences, but also with opportunities to shadow and better understand podiatric medicine and what day-to-day life is like for a foot and ankle physician and surgeon.
Acceptance to the Podiatric Pathway confers provisional admission to the Doctorate of Podiatric Medicine program offered at the College of Podiatric Medicine. KSUCPM maintains sole authority for admission, which will be contingent on meeting academic criteria - minimum GPA and MCAT scores - and satisfactory professional conduct. Most undergraduate students will begin the program in their junior year after completing two years of undergraduate experience. To apply, students must be enrolled at Kent State University in a degree-granting program for a minimum of one academic year and have completed at least 59 credit hours at the time of application. In addition to these criteria, students must have completed the following courses by the end of the fall semester prior to application and admission:
- BSCI 10120: Biological Foundations
- BSCI 30140: Cell Biology OR BSCI 30156: Elements of Genetics
- CHEM 10060/10062: General Chemistry I and Lab (or Honors College equivalent)
- CHEM 10061/10063: General Chemistry II and Lab (or Honors College equivalent)
- CHEM 20481: Basic Organic Chemistry I OR CHEM 30481: Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 30475: Organic Chemistry I Lab
- Application: The application for the Podiatric Pathway is now open. The application will remain open through March 2023. You may access the online application here.
- Transcripts: Candidates will send their official undergraduate Kent State University transcripts to the Office of Enrollment Managaement at KSUCPM at firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
- Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine, Office of Enrollment Management, 6000 Rockside Woods Blvd, Independence, Ohio 44131
- Interview: KSUCPM will review applications and conduct interviews from April through June 2023. Additional information about the interview process will be sent for those candidates who are granted an interview.
- Decision: Candidates will be notified of the admission decision within two weeks of the interview. Candidates who are granted conditional admittance must continue to meet the guidelines as issued in their acceptance letter, plus other criteria required of admitted candidates, such as background check, drug test, etc.
Most students will complete the baccalaureate degree in a traditional four-year time frame, with an additional four years to complete the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) degree following matriculation to KSUCPM.
For additional information about the Podiatric Pathway, please contact KSUCPM at email@example.com or see your undergraduate advisor.