Spring 2023 International Student Orientation
We look forward to welcoming all new, incoming international students to Kent State University. International Student Orientation (ISO) is mandatory for all international students as it is integral to your successful transition to KSU and contains vital information on maintaining your immigration status. International Student Orientation (ISO) is distinct from Destination Kent State for undergraduate students, ESL Orientation, and Graduate Student Orientation.
ISO is a hybrid program consisting of two components: (1) a virtual course through Canvas, Kent State's on-line learning platform, and (2) a full day of in-person activities on campus. Participating in the in-person part of ISO does not replace the virtual ISO course. The ISO course will launch in July. The in-person portion of ISO will be held on (for date check back soon), 2023, in the Kent Student Center Ballroom. Students are also encouraged to participate in KSU Kick-Off activities.
How to Get Started with ISO
Part 1: Virtual Component Launches (Monday, November 14, 2022)
- Log into Canvas
- Be sure to login using the same login information you use for FlashLine
- If you have not logged into FlashLine, please review the steps here. If you are locked out for any reason or have issues logging in, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click on "Courses"
- Click on "International Student Orientation Spring 2023"
Need help navigating Canvas? Click here to learn how to navigate Canvas. Check your due dates listed in Canvas!
Part 2: In-Person Component on (Thursday, January 12, 2023)
- Attend the in-person portion of ISO:
- Where: Ballroom (2nd floor) of the Kent Student Center
- When: 9:15 am - 1:15 pm on Thursday, January 12, 2023
- What to bring: Yourself in comfortable clothing and shoes
- Morning refreshments and lunch will be provided
Spring 2023 Frequently Asked Questions
If I plan to come to the U.S. in December/January, do I need to quarantine before attending classes and events?
Depending on your vaccination status, you may need to engage in some level of self-quarantine upon arrival to Kent, Ohio. Please review the recommendations in place by the COVID Response Team. You can also contact them prior to your arrival for more details on their recommendations via email at email@example.com.
Many classes at Kent State are online/remote for Spring 2023. As a new international student, can I register fully online when I arrive to the U.S.?
New students in F-1 or J-1 status are NOT permitted to be 100% remote. For the 2023-2024 Academic Year, all F-1 and J-1 students must register for a full course of study, with no more than 1 online class counting toward the full course of study requirement. The required number of credit hours for each academic level are listed below.
- Undergraduate students require 12 total credit hours.
- Graduate students require 8 credit hours total.
- ESL students must have 12 credit hours, per the ESL program requirements.
How can I register for classes before coming to the U.S.?
Please review the steps to register here.
What if I plan to study remotely for Spring 2023 and then come to the U.S. in a later semester?
- The first step is to complete our Deferral Request Form to notify us of your plans.
- The second step is to review our Virtual Study Resources page to learn about the resources available to you while you enroll in classes virtually from outside the U.S.
The virtual component of ISO includes live video sessions, recorded sessions, and a compilation of resources to help you transition to Kent State University. All international students who have been admitted for Fall 2022, and who have received either an I-20 or DS-2019, will be enrolled in ISO. All students who started classes virtually in Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, or Spring 2022 will also be added to ISO if they have an I-20 that starts in Spring 2023. The Pre-arrival modules will be available in early July.